PDA

View Full Version : magazines

kirkp
10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Looking through my books the other night and found a couple of magazines that I picked up years ago. One is Discus Annual from 1992 by TFH and the other is Discus Digest International published in the UK in 1989 I think. Anyone ever hear of these? Was hoping to get more but they seem non-existant. Both that I have are the first issue.

Kirk

prolude006
11-01-2008, 10:09 AM
TFH is still a great magazine. The only one I get anyway

"tropical fish hobbyist"

You can even get a digital subscription if your online.

www.tfhmagazine.com

ShinShin
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Kirk,

The '92 Discus Annual is still one of the best publications available. I recommend that if anyone has a chance to pick it up - do so. Just because it is written over 16 years ago, doesn't mean that the info is not pertinant today. Discus are discus, now and then. That's why I laugh when I read people say the Wattley's "Discus for the Perfectionist" and "The Discus Handbook" are irrelavent and dated for today's discus keeper. Anyone who never owned a discus and read these two books alone would be successful if they followed the advice.

Mat

kirkp
11-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Mat,
I agree with you 100%. There's a lot of good "old" books out there with pertinent information. I've been trying to find other issues but haven't had any luck. If I remember correctly I did find a later one but it was a Japanese addition. You know of any others? Know anything about the Discus Digest International magazine?

Kirk

ShinShin
11-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Kirk,

My only experience with that magazine is my failed attempt to place a winning bid for one on Aquabid the one and only time I noticed it there. I do have a complete selection of German magazine "Discus Brief" that has been printed in English. It is very disappointing that Americans are too cheap to buy the magazine, so it is not feasable to published it in English anymore.

Mat

Rod
11-02-2008, 04:20 PM
I still have a copy of the discus digest international, and it really is a pretty crappy magazine. Lousy pics of ordinary discus, one discus even appears in several articles. Really really bad, no wonder there was only ever 1 issue.

Mat, want to buy a great magazine mate?? :D lol

ShinShin
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Rod,

Thanks for that heads-up. If I ever see one on Aquabid again, I'll pass.

Mat