PDA

View Full Version : mulm

jpjagged
10-29-2008, 04:41 PM
what is everyones opinion on a little mulm on the top of the substrate in your planted discus tank? harmful to fish? good for plants/not too harmful... etc...

pcsb23
10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Persoanlly I do everything I can to remove it. It can be indicative of poor water quality. The mulm is rotting vegetation and "other" debris which will raise nitrates and phosphates as well as DOC's none of which is good for discus. It will also create an environment good for bugs too. Additionally it will increase the organics in the water, possibly reducing the O2 capacity in the process.

jpjagged
10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
i have read that this mbs is not desired in a fish only aquariums but in planted tanks this is very good for the plants and the plants do a very good job absorbing these nutrients that it will in turn make the water quality a little better

DiscusDude85
11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Ive got a heavily planted tank, And i siphon my gravel every single night!. You would be blown away to see how much POOP(mulm) builds up in just one days span. Clean your tank. Your fish will love you for it trust me!.
Mulm=Unhappy fish= Unhappy fish keeper. Keep that in mind, Spot for 10 bucks get a siphon you will not regret it.

Joe