PDA

View Full Version : is this normal?

MRQuad
10-30-2008, 01:17 PM
one of my discus, were trying to some sort of scratching his side on the tube of the filter (i don't know how to describe it, bare with me) and sometimes in the bottom of the tank.. is that normal? i think it's not normal, because some discus are just swimming fine, and he's the only that does this..

any ideas? thanks!

Graham
10-30-2008, 02:00 PM
It's called flashing...the fish rubs itself against an object trying to ''brush'' off an irritation. The irritation could be from parasites, water quality, ammonia, bacteria or as simple as a peice of food in the gills.

If it's continually doing it then it's probably a parasite, if water quality checks out

G

Roxanne
11-23-2008, 08:55 AM
It's called flashing... or as simple as a peice of food in the gills.
G

Hi Graham, how you doin?

that food in the gills thing, good thing to know, can they dislodge it by themselves? and if they can't can it cause an infection?

Rox:)

Graham
11-23-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm doin fine, digging out from a foot of snow:mad:

They should have no problem dislodging it

MSD
11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Foot of snow, yikes keep that North of NY. I've seen fish that are picked on weaken and have the above mentioned problems due to their immune system breaking down and letting parasites or bacteria attack. I mention that because its usually when only one fish flashes they are usually the low man on the totem pole.