View Full Version : Emperor 400 Filter Pads....are yours falling apart????

samcatj
10-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Has anyone who uses emperor 400 filters noticed how poor the marineland emperor filter pads have been lately or is it just me. The last couple of boxes of emperor 400 filters pads that I have used to replace in my filters haven't lasted much longer than about two weeks before they just begin to literaly fall apart. When I try to rinse off the pads that literatly fall apart. Anyone else had this experience?

Also, can you cut sponges to the correct size and use them in place of the pads? If so what type of sponge do you use?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Samcatj

mikel
10-30-2008, 06:08 PM
i just use the "rite size" bonded filter pad from Marineland for $6. I actually am still using the origibal plastic cartridge..just cut out the pad in the back, discard the charcoal, cut everything away...then cut a right size pad from the Rite-Size pad, and use some heavy duty rubber band to keep the pad attached to the cartridge. I take the cartiridge, undo the band, wash the pads then re-attach. i need to replace the pad every three months and it's been working really well. The great thing about the emperor is that you have those massive bio-wheels, so I dont worry about killing the good bacteria in the pads when I am washing it. I make sure it's cleaned thoroughly with tap water...hot tap water. mike

Eddie
10-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I actually do a different technic and it's basically a super Emperor set-up. I don't mind the cartidge sponge falling apart. I get about a month out of them. I cut a slit at the top of the cartridge, empty out the charcoal and pour a nice hands full of ehfisubstrate down into the pocket. I'll rinse the cartdridge in tank water with every WC and my water quality is great. I simply change out the cartridge when it starts falling appart. I have a sponge prefilter on the intake tube also, for added mechanical filtration. This doubles the biofiltration capabilities of the filter since the bio wheel handles a big load of it. :)

Eddie