PDA

View Full Version : Western Washington discus road trip to Whidby Island

ShinShin
10-30-2008, 11:31 PM
I have noticed a number of Western Washington discus people on the forum of late. I even met "pherfect" at Starbucks last night. I thought perhaps there may an interest in a road trip to Whidby Island to visit Backyard Discus. I contacted John Rowedder about the idea and he extended an invitation to us to come on up. So, is anyone interested? If so, post so here and PM me as well. John is away until the middle of November. The trip would be afer that. It would also have to be a Saturday or Sunday. I was thinking more like a Saturday. It sounds like it could be a fun day.

Mat

Diamond Discus
10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
My son was stationed at NAS Whidby for 5 years, it's a beautiful place. You'll love Deception Pass. Take some pics while you are there, and of the Discus too!!

Regards,
Sue

pherfect
10-31-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm 95% in. When you get a firm date, I can plan for it. Oh yeah, Saturday sounds good to me. -Chris

ShinShin
10-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Sue,

Yes, I know. Been there. Deception Pass itself is worth the ride.

Man - no one lse from Western Wa. interested?

Mat

krazykat
11-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Bummerooni! I work Saturdays! Whidbey Island trip would have been fun! Well, enjoy yourselves!

brewmaster15
11-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Road trips like these are a blast and real good chance to build some good discus connections and learn from fellow hobbyists.... Wish I was out there...I'd go for sure..:)

The Hobby could definetly use more trips like this!

-al

Apistomaster
11-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I have fished Pass Lake, Washington state's first fly fishing only lake over 50 times. It's the Lake right by Deception Pass along US 20.
Tough place to catch a fish but when you do, it will be big. Used to be a 1 fish over 20" limit.
Beautiful place to check out a discus place and now is a particularly good time of the year to do it. One of the most scenic places on Puget Sound.

kaceyo
11-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Sounds like it could be a fun trip. If I'm free the day it happens I'll go and Mark said he'd like to go too.

Kacey

ShinShin
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Good Kacey. That's 4 for now. Maybe more when we confirm a date with Backyard Discus.

Mat

markstr
11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Yes, I'm in with Kaceyo on this one !!!!

rowedder
11-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey Everyone,
How does the 22nd, Saturday or the 23rd, Sunday of November sound? Looks like theres a great trip ahead! What do you guys like food wise?

ShinShin
11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
I do stem cell on-call every other weekend. That is my weekend. I can't leave the Tacoma area those days until I know for certain we don't have anyone ready to go. I don't find out until that day. The next weekend is fine for me.

You don't have to worry about feeding me. I thought we'd grab lunch at the Flyers in Oak Harbor, but it's up the the others.

Mat

rowedder
11-04-2008, 07:33 PM
The 29th or 30th sounds great, just let me know which day you all would prefer. (360) 279-8095.

pherfect
11-04-2008, 08:19 PM
That's a good weekend for me. Regarding transportation- any volunteers?? I'll start with saying I have a mini-van that seats 6 comfortably. If anybody can top that, by all means... -Chris

rowedder
11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey Everyone,
I just wanted to add that any weekend you all choose is fine, I return home on the 13th so anytime after that would be fine with Andy & I. I just wasn't sure if you all wanted to wait until the end of the month, the 15th and 16th is open as well. Great idea Chris and thanks for volunteering your van

ShinShin
11-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I can make either the weekend of the 15th or the 29th. I would perfer a Saturday, but if Sunday works for everyone else, I am flexable on that. Maybe krazykat could go then. As for a car, I have an Ford Escape, but only 4 would ride comfortabally all that way.

So, whatever works best for everybody else on those two weekends will work for me, so you guys decide and pencil me in.

Mat

April
11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
i wanna go..can you do it on a sunday? its not far for me from canada. maybe seanyuki will come with me. ive been theer also. close from canada.i have to work on saturdays.
ive met kayceo..id sure love to meet the famous mat with one T. : )

seanyuki
11-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Hey April.

Are you flying down?.....already got your passport? we are suppose to apply the passports together lah.

Cheers
Francis:)

ShinShin
11-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Aaaahhhhh, April, so you remember the infamous mat with 1 t, do you? lol BTW, what ever happened to 2 t Matt?

Hey, either day is good for me. The more the merrier. I'd love to meet you, too, April. We've known each other along time and never met.

Mat

seanyuki
11-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Hi Matt,

Is Kacey close by...would love to meet him also....the more the merrier.

Cheers
francis:)

April
11-06-2008, 01:10 AM
francis..no..we drive. its not far. 2 hours maximum. more like 1.5 hours. but itd have to be a sunday.
i work saturday..wedont need a passport to drive over.
we will go do our passports very soon . a monday or something. first its the picture..thats scary..then my vet to sign saying im who i am..
matt with two ts disappeared many moons ago. maybe cary hears from him..not sure.

seanyuki
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi April,

If it's Sunday then count me in also and would love to meet everyone there.

Cheers

francis..no..we drive. its not far. 2 hours maximum. more like 1.5 hours. but itd have to be a sunday.
i work saturday..wedont need a passport to drive over.
we will go do our passports very soon . a monday or something. first its the picture..thats scary..then my vet to sign saying im who i am..
matt with two ts disappeared many moons ago. maybe cary hears from him..not sure.

kaceyo
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi Matt,

Is Kacey close by...would love to meet him also....the more the merrier.

Cheers
francis:)
Hi Francis,
I should be good to go for most any Sunday. Looking forward to meeting you, Mat and the others too.

Kacey

ShinShin
11-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Okay, pick the Sunday - the 15th or the 29th. Either is good for me, so I'll just go with the majority.

We have:

Mat
Chris
April
Kacey
Francis
Mark
krazykat

Anyone else want to go?

Mat

pherfect
11-06-2008, 11:19 PM
The 29th would would work best for me, a sure thing. Also as the this discussion progresses we'll need to discuss who's driving, when we're meeting etc. -Chris

doc3toes
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
uh. maybe i could catch a float plane over to VC. could u guys pick me up (Francis/April)? haven't been on a road trip for a while.:D

seanyuki
11-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Hi Ian,

Great to have you to join us on this road trip.....check with April for details.

Cheers

uh. maybe i could catch a float plane over to VC. could u guys pick me up (Francis/April)? haven't been on a road trip for a while.:D

rowedder
11-07-2008, 12:31 AM
This is going to be fun!!!!

April
11-07-2008, 12:53 AM
itd have to be the 29th for me. im going to west edmonton mall the one before i believe.
of course we could ian. sounds fun.
i know wherre the float plane is well. take the one to the richmond south airport. ; ) no idea on times yet..its the border we gotta worry about..maybe it wont be as busy with the dollar exchange worse.

krazykat
11-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Uhhh, guys, the 15th and the 29th are both Saturdays. Did you mean the 16th and the 30th? There is absolutely no question I can do the 16th, but I can finagle the 30th, if these are the days in question. (We have reached a consensus as to Sunday being the day, right?) The daytrip would be fun! It would be fun meeting everybody too! BTW, how are you doing Kacey?

April
11-07-2008, 12:33 PM
ok then the 30th. the sunday. that would work for us three canucks. ; )

markstr
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Who is "Backyard Discus" ??? Is it just someones Residence or ??

ShinShin
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Good catch, krazykat. It's the 30th then, the way it looks. Now to coordinate the driving. The Canadian crew will have to meet us somewhere. I am thinking maybe at the Deceotion Pass bridge. As soon as you cross the bridge, there is a parking area on the right., or at the Flyers Diner or Grill. I forget which, but it is on the same road crossing Deception Pass which runs through Oak Harbor. It sits on the right hand side. Can't miss it. Really good food.

Mat

rowedder
11-08-2008, 03:49 AM
So i hear that you all wanted to know a little about Backyard Discus... Well, Andy and I have been discus hobbiest for awhile now. I actually got Andy into this hobby, he has more to learn than I. I have was pondering the thought of opening up a small business for a long time offering people a chance to enjoy the hobby as Andy & I do. Andy took the initiative while I was away fulfilling my navy duties and looked into opening up a Business, Backyard Discus. I agreed readily and we grew from there. Our business is run out of our home, so yes it is a residence. We mainly conduct our business online. Visitors are always welcome to come over and browse and purchase if they desire. It was a very exciting time for Andy & I, we went out and bought tanks, built an aquarium stand to hold twelve 29 gallon tanks and set them up. We have added three 75 gallon tanks in our garage as well. Inside we have a 210 gallon, a 150 gallon, and a 45 gallon. We have a little less than 1000 gallons we are working with. So along with opening up our business also came purchasing the discus! That was so much fun introducing all those discus into there new temporary homes. We imported from a company in Maylasia called Aquasynergy and also we ordered some discus Han's discus. This is what we carry in our inventory. Having all the discus we have is exciting and rewarding. Eventually I would like to open up an actual Discus store, time will tell. I hope this explains our business a little better. See you all soon. :)

markstr
11-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Hey Thanks Much John for the info. on this!!
Looking forward to coming out and meeting with you!!

doc3toes
11-08-2008, 03:24 PM
This going to be great fun. I can't wait to chat with everyone! My wife is glad to get rid of me for the day so she doesn't have to hear about the fish for a change. Thanks for the background on your operation. I think i will get my 75 cycled again - just incase.:D

April
11-08-2008, 07:42 PM
you dont gotta cycle it ian..just throw an extra sponge filter in your existing tanks..and let em grow good stuff. move it over if you find fish. : )
so all we need now ..are times..and the only conflict could be the border so we will have too gauge how long . sunday morning shouldnt be too bad..what time are we meeting down there? id have to pick up ian..then find francis..then carry on.

markstr
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
I have a couple of others besides myself and Kacey that would like to attend if that is
OK..........
I don't know about everyone else but I think the earlier the better beings that it is a
Sunday and Monday starts off the Work Week... FWIW.......

ShinShin
11-09-2008, 12:14 AM
I agree with you, Mark. Chris and I were discussing that yesterday. It's getting a little more complicated now with the numbers growing, esp. from two countries now ;) . We need to coordinate drivers and meeting places. April and the other Canadian troops will have to meet us on the island in Oak Harbor. The Seattle crew will have to coordinate with each other as to where us from the south are going to meet them, preferably someplace close to I-5. Someone is in Federal Way and Chris and myself can pick that person or persons up.

We need a definate number of people going, so we know how many cars we need. How early is early. I'm good to leave anytime, 6, 7:00. I figure it'l take around an hour and a half for us all to meet and get above Seattle. Sound right to you all? Depending on the time we arrive in Oak Harbor can determine where Aprils group will meet us. If its still breakfast time, I know a real quirky place that you could see on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the Food Channel. If its more towards, there another place that has great food.

Mat

EnriqueP
11-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Hello all,
I also live in Seattle and would like very much to join you all. I can drive and fit 2-3 more if need be.
Enrique

ShinShin
11-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Enrique,

Sounds good. Are you the guppy Enrique?

Mat

kaceyo
11-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Enrique,
Glad to hear you'r coming. How are the discus doing?

Kacey

EnriqueP
11-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Mat,
Yes, I guess I am. Do you keep them?
Kacey,
They are doing great. I will post a couple of photos on a different thread later as I have questions about variability relative to a couple of shape traits. I am curious as to how these define themselves as the batch grows. I wish I had gotten twice as many from you. Got a system of 6 20-g (tall) tanks going finally. Will have a second system going soon...

Enrique

ShinShin
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Enrique,

I did. I bought some stock from Luke Roebuck, Doug Grey, and LeeC (who posts here), but after we switched servers I couldn't access the IFGA homepage. They couldn't figure out why. I sort of lost interest and got rid of them all. You and I exchanged an email or two about a year ago regarding guppies.

Mat

kaceyo
11-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Enrique,
Glad to hear they're doing well for you. Sounds like you're setting up a hatchery????:D
Kacey

markstr
11-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Everyone, here's a suggestion:

All of us from the Northend here (Seattle ), we meet up at a designated time.

Where: Take the "Marysville Cutoff" and at the end of the offramp go
Left back under freeway. There's an "Arbys" right there on the Leftside..
We all meet in their Parking Lot and then head out...........
Easy access off and on to the freeway...

If we can all agree to that then lets work out the time to meet up....
I would think anywhere's from 7-10 am in the Morning....

pherfect
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Ok, I mapquested the general vicinity of Oak Harbor and from University Place\Tacoma area it's roughly 2 1/2 hours, I figure with me and Mat swinging by Federal Way to pick up KrazyKat, and meetin' the North enders to be about 50 minutes. Mat, once you figure a time to meet up with our Canadian friends, we can figure what time to leave from UP. Another item is how many cars are going up with how many people?, so as I can figure whether I need to use the van or not. Man I'm stoked about this trip:D -Chris

ShinShin
11-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Is everyone okay with Chris and myself leaving Tacoma at 7:00 a.m. . We can set a meeting point to pick up krazykat in Federal Way then onto a N. Seattle meet place. If we are ontime, we'll be in Seattle a little before 9:00. We can meet The Canadian crew at the Flyers in Oak Harbor probabally 11:30 - 12:00, have lunch and continue on. Oak Harbor is not that big, so we are most likely only 10 minutes from our destination. Maybe the Backyard boys would even meet us there forlunch.

Mat

markstr
11-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Mat, that sounds great I think.. Did you see the Post up top I suggested??
All of us around here meeting up at Marysville Exit.. then proceeding Northbound 5
to designation.. There are several of us Carpooling here.
( Myself, Kacey, Enrique, Larry, Susan )
If you guys are going to be around the Seattle area, then your looking at I believe around 30 min. to everett or sooner since there most likely will not be much in traffic.
I think you did mention about driving up & around Deception Pass area if I heard correctly???

April
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
ok well we'll have to find out what time ian can get on his seaplane and arrive in richmond c. only a half hour flight for him..then drive to the border . its only the border that could be an issue. hoepfully early its quiet. should be. then 1.5 hour drive for us. id say 10 or 11 should work. ill im my cellfone number to shinshin or kayce .

ShinShin
11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
April,

Go ahead and PM your cell# to me. I'll do the same.
Here is where we'll all meet at Oak Harbor:

Flyers Restaurant & Brewery
32295 State Route 20
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
0.61 miles from Oak Harbor, WA 98277

(360) 675-5858

It is on the main drag through Oak Harbor coming from Deception Pass It will be on the right hand side of the road.

Mark,

Sounds good. Do you have an exit # off I-5 for this meeting place? Do I understand you that all of the Seattle people will be there? That means that it will be me, Chris, and krazykat coming from the south, is that correct?

Mat

rowedder
11-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey All,
Exit 230 is the Whidbey Island exit, just follow the signs for Anacortes / Whidbey. The hyway is state route 20. There was construction going on when I left. There is a McDonalds right there where you guys could meet, just a suggestion cause of all the construction going on.

ShinShin
11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks, John, but I don't eat at McDonalds ;) . I really think the Flyers is easy enough to find, don't you? It is on the main drag and you can see it coming as you are driving. I've eaten there before, and it really good food and a nice place. I don't drink, but others may want a beer with their meal.

Mat

rowedder
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Flyers should be easy to find. We're really looking forward to meeting you all.

EnriqueP
11-10-2008, 11:02 PM
For those leaving with me driving (I think 3 people), lets plan on a meeting place and time that works with the overall plan. Kacey, you are in charge of that... ;)

GrillMaster
11-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... You guys an gals thinkin of a NWDA? ;) :D :D :D

kaceyo
11-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Enrique,
Mark will be contacting you with directions to a place by I-5 we can meet him and Larry. Then, you know where I live, so it'll just be a matter of what time you'll be picking me up to head up there.

Kacey

ShinShin
11-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Bastalker,

The thought has been on my mind for a long time. Maybe soon.

Mat

seanyuki
11-11-2008, 01:26 AM
Please remind April to buy a street/road map and a GPS system...lol

Cheers

doc3toes
11-11-2008, 02:41 AM
i'll see about calling the float planes tomorrow. ill get the first one over. i think there is a 6:30, but not sure.

April
11-11-2008, 02:21 PM
bring your birth certificate or passport ian..or back you go on the seaplane. lol.

rowedder
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Mark, A NWDA?
That's a great idea!! I know I'd be there at every meeting. That would be so cool.

krazykat
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Everybody! You guys have been busy! :) Glad to know that a day has been settled on! This is really exciting! It would be fun to drive up with other people! It would be great if Mat and Chris would swing by Federal Way to pick me up! Let me know what time to rendezvous. Will PM you my cell phone number! Looking forward to hearing from Mat and Chris!

doc3toes
11-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Looks like first filght arrives in VC at 8:00am at the floats. is that still going to work? i have a passport, so i should be good to go as long as i am not holding things up to long for the day to get started.

April
11-14-2008, 02:28 AM
hi that should be fine. unless plans change..ill be at the float plane at that time. so the richmond airport one right? then find francis and continue on. hes in that general direction.

doc3toes
11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey April. Just confirmed my filght 7:30 am on Sunday the 30th arrives 7:50 at the float terminal in richmond. West Coast Air. i'll talk to you a day or 2 ahead of time so you can "spot waldo" cheers.

April
11-19-2008, 05:13 PM
sounds great ian. yeah put your waldo striped shirt on. lol.

rowedder
11-23-2008, 04:07 PM
One more week! Andy and I are excited to see you all.

ShinShin
11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi John,

Me, too. I just PM'd the drivers of each group so we have cell phone numbers in case of a road problem. I haven't talked to anyone in the last week or so, but the plan is fr one group to leave from the Tacoma area at 7:45a.m., meet up with the Seattle area folks at the Marysville exit, and the Canadian crew will meet up with us in Oak Harbor.

Mat

EnriqueP
11-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Kacey and Mark, let's finalize our plans. Call me at 206-605-0041 to firm up our plans for travel this Sunday before my wife makes other plans for me.

I am also very excited about seeing this backyard effort in Whidby Island and meet them and everyone. Backyard aquaculture is my also thing...

Enrique

ShinShin
11-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Anyone heard from Mark?

Mat

seanyuki
11-26-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi guys/gals

Are we having lunch first b4 heading to John's (BackyardDiscus)place:confused:
Any recommendations where to have a good meal.?

Cheers

kaceyo
11-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Mat,
Mark called last night and said his computer has been down. He didn't have the ph#'s as they were all in e-mails. I gave him Enrique's # and I'll send you Marks in a PM.
My understanding is that you are leaving Tacoma at 7:45, so I thought Enrique could pick me up (near Wallingford) at 8:00 to head north. We'll be picking Mark up at an I-5 exit, then on to meat with you guys. Mark is familiar with the roads up there so he'll be our guide from that point on.
Later,

Kacey

ShinShin
11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Kacey,

Sounds perfect.

Francis,

We are meeting at:

Flyers Restaurant & Brewery
32295 State Route 20
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
0.61 miles from Oak Harbor, WA 98277

(360) 675-5858

We'll eat there. I have been there in the past and the food was really good.

Mat

April
11-26-2008, 08:08 PM
i think you guys are gonna be there earlier than us..i dont even pick up ian till 8 30 then border..and then 1.5 hours drive? drive slow..or stall. go shopping for xmas or something first..
well..as far as seeing the backyard breeder setup..im just going to see if its a nice setup..im gonna pirate the whole setup....send them packing..and move in . lol. nice settinng by the ocean..nice house..nice discus setup..what more could one ask for. : 0

rowedder
11-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Hello everyone! So what time should we expect you all?

doc3toes
11-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Looking forward to this trip. hope my flight doesn't get fogged out. April i think i have one number for you, but maybe PM a cell number so i cen get you if you are already on the road. my where's waldo costume will be an orange hat. i'll be back on SD later tonight.

seanyuki
11-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi guys,

April's computer is down and please pm me for your contacts.....Larry/Matt
need to have your contact as requested by April....Ian (doe3toes) hope your flight from Victoria arrive smoothly.

Cheers

rowedder
11-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Looking forward to seeing you all, travel safe! Until tomorrow...

ShinShin
11-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi John,

I am guessing 12-1 pm, maybe a bit sooner, depending on Canada. I'll call you when we finish eating.

Mat

MSD
11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Hope you all have a wonderful time and enjoy this little adventure you have planned.

doc3toes
11-30-2008, 11:06 AM
i got fogged in:mad:. hope someone takes lots of pics. ...maybe next time

seanyuki
11-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Hi Ian,

So sorry to hear the bad news and will bring along a camera.

Cheers

rowedder
11-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear that Doc... I'll make sure someone takes pictures for ya. We'll meet sometime soon. :)

seanyuki
11-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Just came back from the road trip with April Ross and great meeting some discus hobbyists in Western Washington for brunch and head later to John & Andy's place...The Backyard Discus.
The newly formed gang...myself,April.Matt(Shinshin),Kacey(Kaceyo)Ma rk,the Matt,EnriqueP,Chris and the other lovely lady Ethel,
There are some pics of John & Andy fishroom.

The Show Tanks....210 gallons

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3010.jpg

with admirer eyeing at the tank.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3011.jpg

The other 150 Show tank.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3019.jpg

The fishroom with many many tanks nicely displaying.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3012.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3013.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3014.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3015.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3016.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3020.jpg

Left to right....John,Ethel,Matt,me and April

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3021.jpg

John,Larry in the background,Kacey,Francis & April

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3022.jpg

The pro photographers setting up the equitments

EnriqueP,Mark & Chris.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh127/seanyuki/DSCF3023.jpg

Mark,Chris & Andy trying to get everyone attentions.

Time to sign off and the some more pics coming soon from the people's cameras.

Cheers

pherfect
11-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Francis, excellent pics-how do you post them full size like that? Everybody, it was an excellent road trip and well worth the traveling distance. It was a great opportunity to meet fellow discus enthusists and hear and talk about nothing else but discus. John and Andy were very hospitable host and had a nice setup. As for the pics I took, it was on apature, not auto hence the blue tint but here they are.

pherfect
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM
The other one...

pherfect
11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Sorry, the group photo of everyone didn't upload...I'll try tomorrow-Chris

krazykat
12-01-2008, 12:33 AM
It was great meeting everyone! John and Andy were very gracious! Here are a few pictures! The group shot - John, me - Ethel aka krazykat, Larry from GSAS, Francis (Seanyuki), Mat (with one 't' aka ShinShin) Mark (where are you?), Kacey, and April of Pets Beautiful. Enjoy!

seanyuki
12-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Hi Chris,

I am using photobucket copy and paste.I think my photo are too large and frighten people...lol

Cheers

Francis, excellent pics-how do you post them full size like that? Everybody, it was an excellent road trip and well worth the traveling distance. It was a great opportunity to meet fellow discus enthusists and hear and talk about nothing else but discus. John and Andy were very hospitable host and had a nice setup. As for the pics I took, it was on apature, not auto hence the blue tint but here they are.

rowedder
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Hello Everyone!!,
Andy & I really enjoyed ourselves today, we are happy you all came to visit us. I just finished talking with Francis and Andy & I are coming up with a new plan, more to come on that!! Thanks again for coming. Keep in touch

April
12-01-2008, 03:21 AM
i enjoyed our visit very much. all great people..and had a nice visit. saw a great setup...and our guests very much enjoy their discus and their new venture.
but..back to canada..
thanks for organizing everyone meeting up so smoothly mat . great timing .border only took us about 15 minutes to get through..so all was good. im sure we got back to canada faster than you all got back home.
sorry you couldnt make it ian. next time. the fog was really thick this morning in tsawwassen so i can see why the seaplane couldnt fly. : (

Diamond Discus
12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a nice place.

kaceyo
12-01-2008, 03:31 PM
John and Andy were excellent hosts and made everyone feel welcome. I had a great time looking at fish and talking discus with fellow "Discus Freaks". It was nice seeing April again along with a few local discus friends, just to talk and visit. Meeting Mat and Francis was also pretty cool and I can finaly put faces to their names.
My thanks to Mat for making it all happen and to John and Andy for the invite.

Kacey

doc3toes
12-01-2008, 04:26 PM
thanks all for following up with this thread and posting pics. really sorry i missed the opportunity to meet everyone. next time i guess. STILL socked in with fog over here!

April
12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
we'll have to try make it happen again in the spring or summer. no fog time.

ShinShin
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
It was a fun time yesterday. Thanks to all for making it happen. I enjoyed meeting everyone and am looking forward to another road trip, maybe to Baltimore this time. Look out Hans. ;)

Mat

Discus-Hans
12-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Great to hear you all had a good time.

Mat you're welcome but I think we will meet next year, ACA 2009 in CinCity.

Cary as a speaker, I do something, looks like it's going to be a good one,

Hans

seanyuki
03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Mat.

You need to arrange another meeting in Seattle soon....would like to meet Kacey and the rest of the gang again....BBQ at John/Andy's place....but I need to bring my mentor too April Ross.

Cheers

April
03-08-2009, 11:33 PM
well not till summer..im gonna be busy .

markstr
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a plan !! I had a great time meeting everyone myself and look forward to
it !!!

ShinShin
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I am talking to people now about exactly this. I will PM everyone who went on the trip about some ideas, and when we settle on something, I'll post it here for others not making the trip to join in as well.

Mat

ShinShin
03-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Hans,

Can't make it this year. Going to San Francisco on vacation instead. Some of us are trying to get a plan together for 2010.

Mat

Discus-Hans
03-09-2009, 11:51 PM
2010 is going to be THE year lol

Hans