PDA

View Full Version : Do poor shaped juvees ever surprise you?

Alfred
11-01-2008, 07:24 PM
I have a few fish 3-4 inch size juvees, red spotted greens that are less than perfect. I don't know if I have every seen really good fish at this size as I don't have a lot of experience or exposure to others fish.

Their eyes are on the slightly large size and bodies not really round in shape.
These are not bad or sick fish, very healthy, just not show quality.

My question is do fish show there adult qualities at this age or can fish like these grow into beautifully shaped fish and visa versa.

ShinShin
11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
IME, there are not that many great shaped green discus whose bloodline has not been crossed. They have a tendency to be a little oblonged genetically. Domestic strains have been selectively bred to attempt "round" them up.

Mat

Apistomaster
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Poorly shaped domestic discus are mass produced so much that they are more common than not.
The commercially produced domestic red spotted greens I'm familiar with are not really derived from wild type red spotted greens but are more accurately called, green spotted red turquoise.

kaceyo
11-03-2008, 03:51 PM
At 3" to 4" a badly shaped discus has little chance of becoming one with a good shape. You can improve it's shape, if the genes are there, by raising the quality of it's care, but if it's been well cared for all along and is still poorly shaped, your probably stuck with it as is.

Kacey