PDA

View Full Version : CLOUDY EYE

DRESDEN
11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Hello, Well here goes. I have a discus with one cloudy eye. It appeared about two weeks ago. I don't know what is going on, but it appeared after I cleaned all of the the tank ornaments with bleach. I have always done this but I assume I didn't rinse well enough. For a few days the filters were milky and I didn't realize what probably went wrong, then the whole tank looked like milk.Last saturday I broke the whole tank down, removed all of the gravel, cleaned the filter boxes and rinsed and rinsed the filter sponges. The discus cleared by thursday and then relapsed. the ammonia ia 0, nitrite 0, nitate 5, ph around 8, temp 84. I am now feeding less as I know I was overfeeding. I am now since yesderday doing two 50 percent water changes. it is a 55 gallon tank with 3 clown loaches, one mellow elephant nose, and a bolivian ram. I really don't want to have to medicate. Do you think it might go away by itself? Also, I have had this tank for years and now I have a white film all over the glass and everywhere. It it hard the remove like it is kind of sticky. Is it true maracyn 2 won't upset your filter system? Has anyone else had this weird white film? If so, What do you think it is? Also, has anyone had cloudy eye that clears and then comes back with great water quality? I am lost.... Thank you, Dresden

DRESDEN
11-04-2008, 12:52 AM
HELLO DISCUS FORUM. I WENT TO THE TROUBLE OF REGISTERING AND NO ONE HAS ANSWERED ME. I HAVE LOOKED ALL OVER THE INTERNET TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS STICKY FILM IS ALL OVER MY TANK AND I CAN'T FIND ANY CLUE. MY DISCUS STILL HAS A CLOUDY EYE. I QUESS I AM THE ONLY PERSON IN FISH TANK HISTORY THAT HAS THIS WHITE FILM. WELL, THANKS ANYWAY... DRESDEN

billeagan
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Dresden,

You may have killed all of your good bacteria,,, The cloudy is a sign of a dirty tank -- keep up good water changes -- 2x a day about 20% each and you should be fine.

With the cleaning you gave the tank and your filters I would try and find some bio spira -- just one of the 20 gallon pouches to get your filter going again.. Of course, if you have a friend that has plenty of filtration on their tank you may be able to swap filters with them or run a sponger filter for a day or two and then put the sponge in your tank...

I would not recommend putting bleach on anything that will end up in your tank there is too much risk

HTH
Bill

DRESDEN
11-06-2008, 05:38 PM
HELLO, THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING. MY TANK IS MUCH BETTER NOW. IT ONLY CLOUDS AFTER A WATER CHANGE. MY DISCUS STILL HAS A CLOUDY EYE. IT HAS NOW BEEN A MONTH. IT NEVER GETS WORSE. IT IS PROBABLY A THIRD OF THE EYE THAT IS CLOUDY WITH TWO LITTLE WHITE DOTS ON IT. I HAVE THE MARACYN 2 COMING. DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT GO AWAY ON IT'S OWN OR AM I JEOPARDIZING MY DISCUS? I REALLY HATE TO MEDICATE. I DO BETWEEN 40 AND 50 PERCENT WATER CHANGES DAILY. IF AN EXPERT WILL ANSWER I WILL DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST. PLEASE GET BACK TO ME. DRESDEN OH, ALSO, IT DID GO AWAY ABOUT EIGHTY PERCENT AND THEN CAME BACK. THAT IS WHY I HAVEN'T MEDICATED YET.

Roxanne
11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
What's happening with your fish? I'm not 100%sure, maybe someone will chime in here...but maybe you're killing your good bacteria with that bleach?

:)

Moon
11-20-2008, 05:18 PM
You did such a good job cleaning that you removed all of the bacteria from your filter. As Bill suggested I would try to recolonise the bacteria in your filter system.
Keep up with the wc and keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite levels.
Joe