PDA

View Full Version : Automatic fish feeder question..

MRQuad
11-04-2008, 02:00 AM
hi guys, it's me again.. i am happy that i made my discus eat pellets for 3 days, yepey! they are all eating fine now..:bounce2:

i am here again, and have a question about the automatic fish feeder, it was because my wife sometimes forget to feed the discus, i was thinking that maybe i'll get an automatic fish feeder to make sure, they will get food in time..

now, can you recommend me of a good automatic fish feeder out there? i can't seem to find one, there's a lot of them..:bomb:

thanks guys!

back 2 discus biz
11-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I have the Eheim 3581 "Feed-Air" Digital Automatic Feeder. It's simple, never clogs, has endless feed timing options, and has been running non-stop on the same batteries for almost a year. If I'm not using it, which is rare these days, I close the food door and let it keep running in the cabinet so I don't have to reset the timers when I need it.

I just remembered that I didn't change the clock on it. Oh well!

I guess the biggest drawback is that you can't feed different types of foods at different timepoints. However, if they are dry you can mix them all together. I mix tetra bits, a hikari mini pellets, and freeze dried blood worms in about a 4:2:1 ratio.

Hope that helps,

Paul

poconogal
11-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Eheim. I've had it for about a year and a half, works great. Its model 3581.

MRQuad
11-04-2008, 12:56 PM
thanks guys! after i read your response, i drove straight to petsmart and i found the feeder that you guys have told me, and no 2nd thoughts grab it right away.. it cost me like almost $60 though, but that's ok..

and now i have the Eheim 3581, i like it cause you can manually feed them whenever you like, thanks again guys..

MRQuad
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
i have a question though, the only thing i am worry about this feeder is the area where the food drops, is always open.. do you think the food will be fine?

it would be much better if the cover will close after the food drops.. and open when it is ready to drop any food.. hope the food will be ok inside the container.

thanks again!

back 2 discus biz
11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
One of the nice things is the fan that aerates the container as it's dispensing. I thought the food would get moist as it sat over the tank but it never has. Hope you like it. I do prop my feeder up on a 1x4 so I have about 3 to 4" of clearance above the water. I doubt the extra inch does anything to keep it dry though!