PDA

View Full Version : vacation feed or ok?

marnold
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
My question will my discus be ok for a week without a feeding?I could have someone stop by and feed but a afraid it might get screwed up.

dan3949
11-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Why not get and use an auto-feeder? Not only are they great for vacations, but they allow easy multiple daily feedings

marnold
11-06-2008, 12:44 AM
I have only been feeding live and frozen.They wont touch flakes or bits yet.

MRQuad
11-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I have only been feeding live and frozen.They wont touch flakes or bits yet.

this is what happens to my discus too.. just keep feeding them flakes or pellets you want them to eat.. they will likely eat it.. it took me 3 days to become successful in feeding them pellets..

and they are like pigs! use the EHEIM 3581 auto feeder, it's really nice.. that's what i am using right now..

brewmaster15
11-06-2008, 07:26 AM
If the fish are young adults to adults you can get away with no feedings.... just leave the lights on short cycles to lower their activity levels.....

If they are juveniles less than 4 "...I'd have someone maintenance feed....at least once a day...take the time to premeasure how much each feeding will be... stay away from live while on vacation...just go with whats easiest and safest.

hth,
al

poconogal
11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
I've left my Adult Discus many times for a week with no feeding. They were 100% fine when I returned. When they were younger and before I had my auto feeder, I measured out portions of food and had someone feed them once a day.

Porkchop
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
If you feed them frozen, cut up a bunch of pieces to a given size and have someone only put one of those pieces at a time in the tank. That's what I do with my girlfriend. She can be a "blond" sometimes so all she has to do is grab a piece that I already cut and throw it in the tank. The Discus do the rest ;)

I currently work 2 jobs and LOTS of hours so she helps feed my 2 juveniles.

poconogal
11-07-2008, 02:47 PM
She can be a "blond" sometimes so all she has to do is grab a piece that I already cut and throw it in the tank.

Watch it Porkchop, there are a lot of blondes on this forum!

BAM
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Be careful of your water if you keep feeding while you are away on vacation. If they eat, they poop and the water gets dirty. If they don't eat, they don't poop and the water stays cleaner. If you feed the same, make sure your water changes and bottom cleaning also happen, otherwise, stop feeding 24 hours before the last water change and bottom cleaning. They will be fine.

We all learn the hard way. I did.

BAM

diamond_discus
07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Don't mena to hijack this thread ... But I am going on vacation for 6 days and I have a breeding pair in a 20-gallon tank with just a sponge filter .. I am considering not to feed them while I am gone ... I am worry about the uneaten food and poop would foul the water too much .. 6 days without food would be okay for a pair of 5.5" discus ?

Eddie
07-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Don't mena to hijack this thread ... But I am going on vacation for 6 days and I have a breeding pair in a 20-gallon tank with just a sponge filter .. I am considering not to feed them while I am gone ... I am worry about the uneaten food and poop would foul the water too much .. 6 days without food would be okay for a pair of 5.5" discus ?

They should be fine, you may also throttle back on feedings before you go so they won't create too much waste while you are gone. ;)

Eddie

Disgirl
07-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I am wondering how/why a discus can be OK for a week or longer with no food? We sure couldn't do it ourselves. What in the discus anatomy makes it OK for them to go without for so long? I have always wondered about this. anyone know?
Barb :)

Daniella
07-31-2009, 02:59 PM
You would be ok as long as you would drink water. People can survive much longer than a week without food as long as they have water and a low level of activity.

Fish obviously have plenty of water and they don't move much and don't spend much energy either during their daily activity. Also they do have a fat reserve.

I am wondering how/why a discus can be OK for a week or longer with no food? We sure couldn't do it ourselves. What in the discus anatomy makes it OK for them to go without for so long? I have always wondered about this. anyone know?
Barb :)

Eddie
08-01-2009, 08:00 AM
You would be ok as long as you would drink water. People can survive much longer than a week without food as long as they have water and a low level of activity.

Fish obviously have plenty of water and they don't move much and don't spend much energy either during their daily activity. Also they do have a fat reserve.

:confused:

MostlyDiscus
08-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Dont feed.

I just returned after a week and found crap all over the bottoms of my tanks. I had it rationed off and color coded but non discus/fish people just dont get it. The fish will be fine for a week. If anything better than when you left just for the fact the water is so clean.

Ed

Eddie
08-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Dont feed.

I just returned after a week and found crap all over the bottoms of my tanks. I had it rationed off and color coded but non discus/fish people just dont get it. The fish will be fine for a week. If anything better than when you left just for the fact the water is so clean.

Ed

So right Ed, the first time I had someone feed my fish, there was junk everywhere in the tank like you described. I asked "why is all that food floating and laying on the bottom"? They said the fish still LOOKED HUNGRY!!

Dude, I lost it, I almost busted that dude over the head with my python!

Eddie

frenchie100
08-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Dude, I lost it, I almost busted that dude over the head with my python!

Eddie

You're hilarious Eddie! :D

Eddie
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
You're hilarious Eddie! :D

:D

cyberhog05
08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Pretty bad when an auto feeder is more reliable than a human:confused: I would be deathly afraid to leave my friends in control of my tanks. They cant take care of themselves let alone my tanks and 3 cats and 2 dogs! Good thing im too poor to go on vacation!