PDA

View Full Version : My UV light Expierence

CraigG
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
So my water had a greenish tint to it which I figured was algae and decided to invest in a UV Light.

I ordered AquaStep Ultraviolet Sterilizer (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13954) with a Rio 600.

In 1 week my water is clear that I can now look at one side end of my 75G tank and see the wall on the other side.

I was doing a 10 gallon water change every 3-4 days and it didn't help. I tried this for a month hopeing it would clear with no luck.

I found out what was causing the algae bloom was the proper pH 6.5 which is a phosphate buffer and the warning level on the website said not to use it with a planted tank (you think they would put it on the product label itself:mad:)

So while I don't know if it is doing anything for the disease part which doens't matter either way. I know it did a great job getting my water clearer. Without affect my fish or plants.

Porkchop
11-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey, Craig!

Which size did you buy for your 75 gallon. Money is tight for me so I was looking into the one at Petsmart which is only $60 and it's a 24W. I read here on the forum that a couple of other people use it and are fairly happy with it.

DiscusDreamer
11-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I used the Petsmart one on my 55 gallon. I had excess algae growing because i just changed my main bulbs out and didn't have very many plants at the time. It cleared the algae in about two days, and i took it out after that. The flow is kind of slow and its a pretty big unit, but the price was right.

CraigG
11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I went with the 10 Watt. It was more then enough to cover my tank. I was looking at the petsmart one too but didn't have as much exposure as this one did. Though that does have the wattage many people seem to be using the petsmart one.

Porkchop
11-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, I have a 55 gallon still cycling so I don't have algae yet but this is something I'm considering putting in my tank to minimize the algae growth. The room the tank is in will get some sunlight certain parts of the day. Also, I currently have an Emperor 400 on the tank and the water is too still on the other side and I would like to get just a little more movement out of it and I feel this will be an additional help.