PDA

View Full Version : Discus in need of help!!!

discus essential
11-06-2008, 11:19 AM
I have had 3 discuss doing great for about 8mos. I went to add 3 more and now 1 of the older ones and 1 of the newer ones look like they are peeling and losing the slime coat. One looks like it has open sores.
In addition to the ones showing these symptons others are doing the same thing which has been hanging near the top at about a 45 degree angle. They still seem to go crazy for food.

I have been told to do daily water changes, keep the u/v running and add nitrofurizone but wanted to get some other thoughts.

I appreciate any assistance as I have not ran into this before.

kenhappen2u
11-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I have had 3 discuss doing great for about 8mos. I went to add 3 more and now 1 of the older ones and 1 of the newer ones look like they are peeling and losing the slime coat. One looks like it has open sores.
In addition to the ones showing these symptons others are doing the same thing which has been hanging near the top at about a 45 degree angle. They still seem to go crazy for food.

I have been told to do daily water changes, keep the u/v running and add nitrofurizone but wanted to get some other thoughts.

I appreciate any assistance as I have not ran into this before.

i dont know if this applys to your situation . but i have heard some bad things about having a UV on a freshwater tank . as well as taking out the bad stuff in the water it also takes with it the good stuff. maybe someone whith more know how will chime in soon

Ken

White Worm
11-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I would pull the fish from the tank that have the sores and directly apply iodine to the affected areas. Did you QT the new fish or did you just add them when you got them?

discus essential
11-06-2008, 02:32 PM
They were quarantined but I only treated with prazipro for the chance of something internal or hex they looked fine skin wise

discus essential
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I am still looking for some much needed advice..... should I continue daily water changes or what medication to use.
Two are darker and on on the pec fin is ripped up. They are still looking like they are shedding skin so to speak and still swim at about a 45 degree angle mainly hanging towards the top.

I was originally told that it is probably a bacterial infection and to use my u/v, do daily water changes and treat with nitrofurzon which I have done the past 3 days but how long til symptons improve or how long til I know to use a different med??
Thanks!!!!