PDA

View Full Version : help with flagellates and internal parasites

aztecdiscus
11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
hi guys i would like to know what should i use to theat my discus infecetd with flagallates and other internal parasites

poconogal
11-07-2008, 05:28 PM
For flagellates that would be Metro, but how do you know they are infected? What parasites do you believe they have and why? What specific problems are you having, what are their symptoms? What are your water parameters? I know, a lot of questions, but you'll get the help you need if you give more info.

aztecdiscus
11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Only 2 r affected they are really skiny they don't eat they also loss their colors and just stay in one place in the whole tank I ask hans if he know what that was for an he said that was flagellates and internal parasites so I need to know how to get rid of it........
My ph is 6.7
Temp 80-82f

ShinShin
11-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Many times a discus is too far gone esp. if you look at it straight on, face to face, and it has that razor like edge from its dorsal area to the top of its gills and its face is thicker than the body behind it. Once they are that emaciated, death is likely. I am guessing besides the flagellates (Metro) you have nematodes, most likely capillaria (levamisole).

Good luck.

Mat

aztecdiscus
11-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes shinshin if u see the fish from front to back u can see like 2 sharp sides in top of the eyes and the stomachs area is really skiny almos translucent so what ya recomend me to do also will it afectate another fishes or not

ShinShin
11-08-2008, 01:12 AM
I think you have a capillaria infestation, and more than likely your other fish may have it,too. I think this particular discus is doomed. If it were me, I'd dispose of it and treat the tank with levamisole which can be purchased at any farm store. It is a pig dewormed that works well on discus.

Mat

Discus-Hans
11-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Only 2 r affected they are really skiny they don't eat they also loss their colors and just stay in one place in the whole tank I ask hans if he know what that was for an he said that was flagellates and internal parasites so I need to know how to get rid of it........
My ph is 6.7
Temp 80-82f

That is not what Hans said, here is a copy of my answer to your question:

Q: Hi hans I got u another question I have 1 discus that is really skiny he
don't eat and the fins are getting destroyed but I don't know what to use to
treat them I think the problem is in de intestine or in the digestive system
but I need help with it . If u can help me with it I will thank it

Hi ??? don't even know your name lol lol

If it's really skinny (I know you don't want to hear this) put him asleep,
it's probably to late.
Probably it has a parasite, those won't kill your Discus (because than they
have to find a new host) but slowly eats it away on the inside.
A worm infection, but if it really is skinny, probably to late.

You know this is the importance on keeping a close eye on your Discus, at
the moment it stops eating, try to get some poo and put it under a
microscope, you can see SO MUCH from a little piece of poo.
Worms: you will find from some types eggs in the poo, pieces of worms, whole
worms, etc etc
Intestal flagalates, etc etc etc.

Hans.

ShinShin
11-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Hans,

Good answer. Some more of that JQ's tutoring showing up in you again. ;)

Mat

Discus-Hans
11-08-2008, 02:08 AM
lol

aztecdiscus
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Sorry hans for the misunderstanding o don't speak to much english and some times I missunderstan I though u tell me that that was a flagellate infestation or internal parasites but now I see that was a good think to put this threat in here with a lot of experinced people like shinshin and u hans and again im sorry hans .............also can anyone find the product for me because I think it will be hard for me to find that in here in philadelphia and again thanks to both of ya

ShinShin
11-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I am sure you can find someplace online, especially since you are close to all that Pennsylvania Dutch farm country in Bucks and Lancaster counties.

Mat

aztecdiscus
11-12-2008, 11:24 PM
unfortunatelly this one die but this is how they looks when they get sick
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq280/aztecdiscus/IMG00151.jpg
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq280/aztecdiscus/IMG00152.jpg
http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq280/aztecdiscus/IMG00153.jpg
plese i really need help with this parasite

Diamond Discus
11-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Your temperatures are a bit low. 84 to 86 degrees will be more to a Discus' liking and will stimulate eating as well.

aztecdiscus
11-14-2008, 04:30 PM
hi shinshin do u think this medication will work for my fish desease http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+4760&pcatid=4760

ShinShin
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
I answered your PM.

Mat