PDA

View Full Version : Please help, is this cycled or not

Sir Knight
11-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Sorry for this simple question but it has been a long time since freshwater.

Today I tested Ammonia it was 0, Nitrites are off the scale and nitrated are
10. I just added more ammonia to bring it back up to 2. Am I doing something wrong or is my tank cycled because of Nitrates are 10?

thanks for helping this old man not make a mistake:)

Joe W.

Don Trinko
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
The nitrites should go to zero and the nitrates will go up more. The nitrates of 10 means that you have some bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates (unless you have nitrates in your tap water) but since the nitrites is high I think there are not enough bacteria to covert it to nitrates.
Don T.

above design
11-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Its not cycled until your nitrites are down to 0. If your nitrites are that high you are probably pretty close ( within a week). They usually will drop fast.

Good luck!

- Mark

Sir Knight
11-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Thank DonT. and Mark,

So should I continue adding Ammonia or let it drop to zero?

This is a fishless cycle that I am running and I have no Nitrates in my tap water

kenhappen2u
11-07-2008, 09:20 PM
yes ....continue adding Ammonia untill you see it drop. then wait 24 hours and add fish ,

ken

Tropical Haven
11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Your tank is getting close to being cycled but like everyone else said your nitites need to be at zero. You need to continue using ammonia.

Roxanne
11-17-2008, 07:48 AM
yes ....continue adding Ammonia untill you see it drop. then wait 24 hours and add fish ,

ken

Hey Ken

KaceyO recommends dumping all the water out of the tank before you add the fish...what are your thoughts on that if I may ask?
:confused:
Cheers

Roxanne

Don Trinko
11-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Many do a large WC before adding fish. Don T.