PDA

View Full Version : Ruthless Tyrant Discus

thekeem
11-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Hi all :) new to the forums

My name's keem and I am (very) new to the discus keeping hobby. I have a 90G planted community tank whose residents were evacuated to make for a discus tank.

I have 3 discus, 2 are unidentified (im assuming both males) who are about 3.5 inches in height bought a week apart from the same store, they always lived together in peace, ate together, swam together, etc. Recently, however, one of them is getting increasingly territorial and physically violent.

At first, i didn't make much of it, thinking it normal behaviour. Now, while both these fish appear healthy, one is constantly terrified. He hides in the back and is instantly terrorised if he ever tries to come out to the front of the tank. He barely eats, just mows over the bloodworms seeming interested but rarely going for it for fear of the alpha male.

I got worried, and I went out to buy the alpha a woman to appease him (I like how im under the thumb of a fish the size of a tea biscuit). She is a bit smaller than the other 2, and im fairly certain she's a female but its too young to tell (honestly the only thing im able to gauge this on in juveniles is the shape of the back of the dorsal fin, and whether or not it has a tangent on it). The antagonist still continues his reign of terror and occassionally i see nips in the other 2's fins which is pretty infuriating.

Sometimes when hes chasing them i feel like i just wanna stick my hand in there and agitate to see how he likes it :P

Anyway, Sorry for this being so long, i wanted to be as detailed as i could so you guys could help me. Are there any methods for cutting down on aggression? it's a huge tank they're only 3 fish. Should i feed the bloodworms by hand like i do with my angels? I want my fish to be less like predators and more like timid, moon-faced simpletons.

CraigG
11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
3 Discus is a very bad thing to do. The best thing you can do is add 2 preferably 3 more discus to your tank.

Also what sometimes will help is moving around the decoration in the tank so it has a different look. Before you do this I would add the 3 other discus to your tank.

thekeem
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
As much as id love to fill this tank to the brim with discus, they are expensive and still fairly rare.

Any short term solutions?

Eddie
11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
There will always be a dominant Discus. Although, the others may eventually get up enough energy and guts to fight him back. My young ones always try to put up a fight. As it was stated, give him other targets if you want him to stop. This way he can disperse the aggression onto other discus. I currently have five and they all fight with each other.

Eddie

kenhappen2u
11-10-2008, 03:51 PM
As much as id love to fill this tank to the brim with discus, they are expensive and still fairly rare.

Any short term solutions?

How about adding a couple of large angelfish ? or maybe a smaller fish than the discus that is getting picked on ......untill things calm down .

just a thought ....ken