PDA

View Full Version : Re: L46 plecos

gw
11-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Anyone in Canada looking for adult L46's?-I have 11 for sale-

Tropical Haven
11-10-2008, 09:57 AM
If you are offering them for sale it would be a good idea to tell everyone how much you are asking for each one. You know a million questions like this are going to be coming your way.

2075turner
11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
If you are offering them for sale it would be a good idea to tell everyone how much you are asking for each one. You know a million questions like this are going to be coming your way.

Yeah, Like where are you located? How much? and do you ship?:)

razputin88
11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Exactly!!^^^^^ Us Canadians need to know.

gw
11-10-2008, 08:33 PM
ok, I am about 3 hrs from Toronto in USA and if enough purchased, will deliver them into Canada and if all 11 purchased by one person, will deliver them to Toronto area. Other possibilities exist for shipping to other areas of Canada but given value of these fish, I am hesitant to ship.

These are adults, at breeding age, about ready to start laying eggs 2 1/2+to 3 1/2+ inches and from two groups of parents. I am asking $350.00 each, US funds, but will adjust that price downwards depending on # purchased. These are in excellent health and they have started to stake out their caves about 3-4 months ago. I have given up all my tropical fish except these [seriously into koi, unfortunately ha, ha] and now am going to sell the zebras as well.

I wish to be sensitive to buyers, but I don't wish to get into attempting to take picture after picture in an attempt to sex them. I will select them randomly for purchases. Feel free to send me questions at: gw1@rochester.rr.com

Hope the above information is helpful.

davejep
11-11-2008, 01:13 PM
How many do you think it would take to have a successful colony for breeding?

moto250mx
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
$350.00 each hmmm...Highway robbery at it's finest!...I have never paid over $40.00 each...Do yours cure cancer by any chance?

Jason

Lisachromis
11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
You've never paid more than $40 for zebra plecos?? If so, spill the source since lfs pricing is around $400 each for little guys.
:D

davejep
11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Moto/Jason you need to do a little research on these guys.
http://www.piranha-info.com/images/L046_01.jpg
They can't be exported from Brazil due to a ban.
They are a gorgeous fish in short supply.

Tropical Haven
11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
$350.00 each hmmm...Highway robbery at it's finest!...I have never paid over $40.00 each...Do yours cure cancer by any chance?

Jason

Jason,
If you can get these for $40.00 each then I would like you to send me a pm with the contact name and number so I can buy them. I seriously think that you are thinking of a different pleco.

At $350.00 each at the size he is selling them at is a very fair price for sure.

But next time someone list something for sale and you don't agree with the price you need to keep it to your self because we will not tolerate for sale items to become a problem thread with people complaining that someone is asking to much money.

gw
11-14-2008, 08:39 PM
bump

bs6749
11-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Anyone other than me happen to see that Moto/Jason is in Brazil and that he can get them much cheaper than in other countries due to the ban.

Tropical Haven
11-14-2008, 10:24 PM
That is probably why he can get them so cheap then, I didn't realize he was from there. But then again we do not want to see people giving negative feed back on how much someone is asking for something.

yogi
11-14-2008, 10:57 PM
I also noticed he was in Brazil. They are on the CITES list of protected species, so even if he is getting them for $40. it's illegal. At the 2008 ACA a person was selling home bred ones for $500. each at about 1 1/4 inches. He sold 37 out of the 40 he brought in just 2 days. They did not go on the CITES list until 2004. In 2003 they were $25. wholesale and $100. in pet shops.

Discus-Hans
12-30-2008, 12:53 AM
At the 2008 ACA a person was selling home bred ones for $500. each at about 1 1/4 inches. He sold 37 out of the 40 he brought in just 2 days.

Jerry,

did you see or know anybody who saw him really catch one or 2, put them in a bag and see someone actually pay him 500 ~ 1,000 dollar.

I heard the stories too, but (and I talk with a LOT of people) nobody saw selling that person one of them,

Hans

yogi
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Jerry,

did you see or know anybody who saw him really catch one or 2, put them in a bag and see someone actually pay him 500 ~ 1,000 dollar.

I heard the stories too, but (and I talk with a LOT of people) nobody saw selling that person one of them,

Hans

Yes I saw him selling a lady two of them Saturday afternoon as well as a few other fish. When he was catching them I heard him say now I only have three left. No I did not watch the money change hands. I walked away after he netted them.

FischAutoTechGarten
12-31-2008, 01:52 AM
These are a spectacular fish. I kept them about 15 years ago. I think I was paying about $50 a piece, but that was before the ban. They are very hard to catch, they live in extremely deep rapid water (base of cascades and so forth). They do not eat vegetable matter (though everyone tries to feed them that like other Plecos). They live so deep, that they are scavengers, feeding on carcases and so forth.

I kept them with Discus for a bit. However, they do not like the high temp requirements (84degF), but rather a cooler environ (75degF or so).
Peter

FLGirl1977
12-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks for that info Peter. I'm sure there are many (like me) that would have tried keeping them in the warmer water. Interesting that they are so much different than the others. They are truly a gorgeous fish that I wish I could afford....

Does anyone know why there is a ban on them? I would love to know more on this species and if they will ever become more readily available (one day)... :confused:

Wahter
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
Here's some more info for anyone who wants to know more about this fish:

http://www.zebrapleco.com/
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=56
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=273

Walter

aztecdiscus
01-03-2009, 12:08 AM

Jason

looks like someone around here needs a little bit more of info about zebra's plecos!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

kpotter2
01-03-2009, 01:56 AM
I was reading this thread and notice that the Zebra pleco was band and that is why they where so pricey. I remember back in 94'or 95' when they where introduce to hobby in my area they where pricey,but even then they were around 100.00 each. I wish I would have keep working on breeding them back then. I worked at walmart and was getting them whole sale there at 30.00 dollors and they where retailing for 50.00 to 75.00 and I bought 5 to see what would happen. I was breeding Discus and Angels at the time. I had eggs out of the group,but that took 2 months to do that and then they would not hatch. I knew of no one breeding them at the time. Anyway I wish I would have contunied. They are truely a great looking fish!

Thanks

Kyle

ashaysathe
01-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Posts above state - "Banned by Brazil for export" what does that mean to me and our forum?

Will it happen that if I buy it, there will be a law agency at my door? Are compromising the integrity of the forum?

I don't know what I don't know.

Al - can U shed some light on this?

brewmaster15
01-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Ashay,
These are Banned for export by Brazil...but they are perfectly legal to own and are bred often by many individuals here in The USA and resold.

Theres a largely Gray area with regards to selling wild collected ones that have left Brazil via other means(such as neighboring Countries). These we do not allow to be sold here on Simply as it gets into a questionable area that I am not personally comfortable with.

Thanks,
al

korbi_doc
01-03-2009, 12:15 PM
:D Hmmmmmm, they sure are a gorgeous fish....wonder what the possibilities are for obtaining a breeding pair & what the cost would be, lol......would even be nice to get a group of juvies & try to raise a pr & breed'm.....anyone doin' that??? Why do we find the exotics so intriguing?? hmmmmmmm.....fish insurance anyone????? LOL...

Dottie ;)