PDA

View Full Version : Wild Discus - Do they need Wild Tank Mates only

TankWatcher
11-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi all :wave:

I've been given advice that it's best to keep my domestic discus separated from my wild discus. I am about to shuffle my tanks around so that i can do this.

Does this also apply to the tank mates of wild discus. Is it best that tank mates are all wild as well :confused:

Currently, my tanks are a mix, each with some wild discus, some domestic & various other tank mates that I assume are mainly domestic (but don't really know). They are currently mixed in with apistos, sterbais, ottos, cardinals.

I really do want the wild discus tank to have some non discus tankmates too, but not at the risk of their health.

I'm wondering what the advice here on this forum would be?

Moon
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
I have kept wild browns and blues with domestics with no problems. In fact one of my wild males has paired with a domestic ss and raised three broods.
Heckels are a different matter. Their personality is different and should be kept on their own.
JMO

TankWatcher
11-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi Moon

Thanks, it's more the non discus tank mates I'm wondering about. Currently, my wilds & domestics are mixed together. I didn't have enough wilds to warrant a tank on their own. But now I have a new batch of wilds in QT so once they are ready, I am going to separate the wilds from the domestics. There are enough now to warrant them taking up their own tank. I still should have room for 2 wild green tefe. Wilds are hard to find here, so it may take me a while to find some.

I think from your answer though, that there is no issue to keeping on discus, domestic bred tank mates with the wilds?

Thanks heaps

Kevin22
11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I perfer wild tank mates from Amazon such as Rummynose and Cardinal.
Neon is out. I also have tank bred L144 for cleaning.
so IMO, perferably wild tank mates from same region but they'll be fine with tank bred fish as long as they are healthy. domestic discus are more tricky since they can carry bacteria or virus can infect wild discus. I wouldn't put any selected bred fish with them such as Albino fish or long fined fish or anything like that

Hi Moon

Thanks, it's more the non discus tank mates I'm wondering about. Currently, my wilds & domestics are mixed together. I didn't have enough wilds to warrant a tank on their own. But now I have a new batch of wilds in QT so once they are ready, I am going to separate the wilds from the domestics. There are enough now to warrant them taking up their own tank. I still should have room for 2 wild green tefe. Wilds are hard to find here, so it may take me a while to find some.

I think from your answer though, that there is no issue to keeping on discus, domestic bred tank mates with the wilds?

Thanks heaps