PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions

cturner
11-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Okay so I've managed to raise my discus up pretty healthy and to a reasonable size for my first try. I've only lost 1, which I believe was to breeding stress and had to cull a runt. I've got 2 pairs in my community tank which I tried to seperate but they had no success with my harder water. But it was a great chance to see them try.

Now my fish are about a year old and I've cut them back to 2 feedings a day. 1st feeding pellets & flakes 2nd feeding frozen mix.

What do I have to continue to do to keep my fish healthy now that they are young adults? Annual wormings, and with what (will it bother my other fish)? Other than keeping up with my WC's are they pretty much maintenance free now?

I know these questions are likely to bring up questions from you so please ask and I will answer them. I was just trying to make a shorter post.

TIA!:D

Tropical Haven
11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Now that you cut back your feedings and they are bigger now just keep up with water changes and that should be it. I wouldn't treat with medication as a preventative because now you will be exposing them to chemicals that are not necessary. If they come down with something over time then you can treat them.

ShinShin
11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I see no need to prophylactic treatments with what you are feeding. If you feed live foods like CBW's or frozen bloodworms, which can harbor pathogens, keep an eye on your fish for overall appearance and normal fecal discharge. If it changes from dark brown/black to yellowish or white, you have a problem.

Daily water changes and good food will kep your fish healthy for the most part.

Mat