PDA

View Full Version : QT Period

TankWatcher
11-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi there

I currently have some discus in QT, since 12 Oct. pictures in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=66896

They have gone through precautionary worming:-

Wk 1: levamisole
Wk 2: Prazi
Wk 3: Prazi
Wk 4: levamisole

I am thinking about keeping them QT'd for another 4 weeks. They seem the picture of health & are eating like greedy pigs.

Read here about adding a "cull" fish from my stock to them for 2 weeks, so will do that in their final 2 weeks in QT. I didn't know about that before, but it makes a lot of sense. I don't really have a "cull", but guess I will risk my least favourite discus (better to lose him on his own, than risk them all).

Is there anything else I should consider doing to ensure they are clean, before combining them with my stock?

Thanks in advance :)

Don Trinko
11-15-2008, 10:04 AM
sounds like you have the right idea. Total qt recomendations are typicaly 6 weeks. Don T.

seanyuki
11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Just curious is it best to medicate them with medication during their quarantine period :confused:

Cheers
Francis:)

brewmaster15
11-15-2008, 10:35 AM
HI Francis,

ust curious is it best to medicate them with medication during their quarantine period :confused:

Yes, If You plan on medicating them, thats the time to do it....otherwise you risk introducing something to your main tanks.

Robyn,

I like to treat all new fish with a course of Quick cure (formalin+malachite green) or just formalin as part of the QT... I feel it decreases the chances of introducing a protozoan to the tanks down the road... generally I dose everyother day for 3-4 treatments....large water changes between. There no way to really know what a fish may be harboring with out scraping it and using a microscope...but I think a little prevention here helps.

Hth,
al

seanyuki
11-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks Al for the info and will introduce medication when I get my next discus.

Cheers
Francis:)

TankWatcher
11-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks all for input. Does Quick cure (formalin+malachite green) stain the silicone? Reason I ask is this isn't my usual QT. After they finish QT, it will become the permanent display home for my domestics & the 7 ft will be the permanent home of the wilds.

If it stains the silicone, I may have to figure something else out.

My usual QT is only 100L, a little small for this batch of 7 & I'm currently using it to let 2 heckels grow a little bigger before I move them to the wilds tank.

If I rehoused the hekels for 1 week elsewhere (I can put them in the main community, as they were there previously), could these guys live in the 100L for just long enough to do the every other day dose of Quick Cure for 3-4 treatments?

If we don't have Quick Cure here in Aus, just as long as it is formalin+malachite green based - that's the med I'm looking for, right?