PDA

View Full Version : oh boy

gotfish?
11-16-2008, 01:43 AM
so after all of my excitment, i finally got my "dream part time job" from school lol one of my LFS hired me and i started a couple of days ago...but to make the long story short... i dont even want to look at my own tanks when i got home!! i think my hands are gonna fall off if i do another water change lol god knows how much i really love this hobby, but after spending your entire day in a fish store and devoting a good two hours on your own fish, i need a freakn break! so i asked the guys from work and NONE of them have fish tanks at home---figures.. so what do you guys think??? i really dont want to get rid of my own fish, since i just started with discus and my grow outs are just starting to really improve....grrrr this is so fraustrating!!

(sorry, just had to release my fraustration hehe)

have a good one:D

kenhappen2u
11-16-2008, 03:24 AM
none of your co-worker have tanks at home ? well then the way i see it , you would only be doing your neighborhood a real dis-service if you quit your job ...maybe you can teach them a thing or two about housekeeping and keeping healty fish...

as far as your tanks go.... maybe you can change your times of your WC's so that your doing them before you go to work so when you get home you dont have to even think about your besides feeding times and enjoy watching your fish .

Ken ,

PS: keep your chin up. and congrats on the new job , i hope it all works out for you

gotfish?
11-20-2008, 01:03 AM
i think i might just place all my fish (adults and grow outs) in one tank, so il just have one tank to perform WC with:(

Peachtree Discus
11-20-2008, 10:44 AM
how many growouts do you have? would you (& the shop owner) consider you setting up your growouts at the shop? come up with 5 good reasons that benefit the shop and maybe you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Discus-n00b
11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
This is exactly why i never went for a job at the LFS. Keep it as a hobby and thats it. ;)

gotfish?
11-22-2008, 10:52 PM
how many growouts do you have? would you (& the shop owner) consider you setting up your growouts at the shop? come up with 5 good reasons that benefit the shop and maybe you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

that would be a cool idea, but the way i take care/raise my fish and how the fish store "do their thing", the fish store isnt "sanitary" enough for my fish...im kinda of a clean freak and i very meticulous specially when it comes to discus. and besides, they think im a wacko for aging and doing daily WC..they can never understand:(

Discus-n00b
11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I always have room for some big snakes and nice turqs ben, cough...cough. ;) heh

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-25-2008, 06:59 PM
I worked for a huge aquarium maintenance company in Orlando for a year and there were moments where I had a hard time coming home and doing more maintenance on my own tanks. But it is a hobby of dedication and love for the fish. Keeping that train of thought helps a lot.

-Ryan

Rod
11-26-2008, 04:35 PM
and besides, they think im a wacko for aging and doing daily WC..they can never understand:(

Benedict, Most pro fish keepers don't get it. I deal with a lot of breeders (mainly afro/american cichlid breeders). One who comes by every month or so likes my angelfish, so he always has a good look when he is here. One time i had a massive spawn of them which he saw as wrigglers, then comes back a month later and asks about them. I show him the tank and he comments how well they are doing. Anyway, he comes back a month later and asks again, so i show him and he flat out refused to believe they were the same fish. I thought it was a compliment in an arseabout fashion as i was extremely proud of the progress with them, but he was deadly serious. He thought i was telling him tall tales, as if fish cannot do that well. After some serious discussion with him about how discus keepers do things, his comeback was changing that much water will cause problems.....again i show him my fish and my water change barrells...right there in front of his eyes. He thinks i am wacko....but at least we are still friends....lol.

Rod:)

Moon
11-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I find wc very theraputic. When I get home after a stressfull day and 1.5 hr drive home I go down to the fish room and do wc. During this time I get to observe the fish and talk to them. After this routine go upstairs and say hi to my wife.

gotfish?
11-26-2008, 08:03 PM
thanks guys:):) i think im starting to get used to it:D the first few days were the hardest since im trying to learn the ropes and all. i worked my sked out with the boss and it couldnt get any better :antlers: thanks guys so much

moon, WC is also theraputic to me aswell lol

rod, when im helping people out in the store and are asking about discus, i really put my heart into giving them the best advice(from personal experience), but my boss thinks im scaring people off discus lol the boss said, keep my WC routine to myself and just stick with the basics, you cant please everyone lol

ps. matt, your the first in person in my list im sending all my fish if something (god forbid) happens. dont forget to make room for my flowerhorns and bichirs :D:D

rickztahone
12-05-2008, 02:55 AM
hello benedict, which LFS in cali do you work at?

krazykat
12-05-2008, 04:26 AM
I find wc very theraputic. When I get home after a stressfull day and 1.5 hr drive home I go down to the fish room and do wc. During this time I get to observe the fish and talk to them. After this routine go upstairs and say hi to my wife.

You do your WCs first and then go say hi to your wife :confused::D:p

Moon
12-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Yep. Got my priorities right. JK lol