PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Fin Tuna

Eddie
11-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Anybody know if fresh yellow fin tuna can be used instead of beefheart in a mix? We went deep sea trolling today and caught a good number of yellow fins. While cutting the fillets I thought about the chunky bits leftover. With the amount of fish I cleaned, the bits and pieces of fresh yellow fin piled up ALOT. I was going to make some nice mixes out of it unless it's not recommended. :o

Thanks

hyperfocus
11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I was a commercial fisherman for about 6 months (long line) and i can say that tuna in general is a very clean fish. People eat it raw, so i would assume it would be fine for your discus... Heck, i even ate the tip of a beating tuna heart once for good luck.

However I would never feed my discus Swordfish. They always had some kinda worm/parasite attached, or inside them.

brewmaster15
11-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd give it a try Eddie... just avoid the dark meat... it tends to be fatty and oily... and is where toxins bio accumulate in a fish.

I'd be introduced in how they take to it.. maybe try mixing it ..

1 lb tuna
1 lb peeled raw shrimp
1/3 lb Flake (optional)
1 tablespoon paprika

Dice small.. and mix all ingredients...then single pass thru a grinder...or even use a potatoe masher by hand....

I'd not use a blender or food processor,....I think it'll mush on you!

If thats doesn't work... go 50-50 with beefheart!

-al

Eddie
11-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks,

I figured it was really clean and I read that yellow fin actually topped all fish/meat/poultry in protein content per serving.

Al,

I did a mix very similar to what you posted except I substituted the flakes with ground pellets, added a teaspoon of ground oatmeal, and a little garlic. Gonna try the mix today!

We'll see how it goes! :D

Eddie

Eddie
11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Discus devoured the stuff like they never ate in their life! Now I am not gonna say that it was just the tuna because my fish will eat a cheeseburger if I dropped it in the tank, french fries too. Ferocious these Discus are, like piranhas! :waaa:

Eddie