PDA

View Full Version : Chipped Eye

Eddie
11-16-2008, 05:43 AM
If a discus has a chipped eye, will the offspring have chipped eyes?

Thanks

Eddie

fishy_dude
11-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Hello, just wondering what ppl mean when they say chipped eye? I have seen it here many different times but am not sure what it means? Please do not let this question hi-jack the thread. Thanks

Peachtree Discus
11-18-2008, 04:42 PM
sorry.....cannot answer the 1st question

....wondering what ppl mean when they say chipped eye?...

where the eye should be a complete circle, there will be a spot that looks like a piece is missing......"chipped"

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=473201#post473201

Eddie
11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
No. no problem fellas. I was just pinging to see if anybody bred a fish with a chipped eye and if a large or all of the spawn had chipped eyes.

DiscusMaker is correct. The eye should be completely round kinda like a red donut. Instead, there is a chunk off red missing like somebody took a bite out of the donut.

I read that it's from too much inbreeding but I don't know how accurate that is.

Eddie

John_Nicholson
11-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Eddie I wish that I could help you but I never bred a discus with a defect that severe. I am from the old school...there are to many good discus around to have a bad one. Personally I would not breed it and it tank space was tight I would probably out it down.

-john

Eddie
11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the response John. I guess I'm a bit F***** on that one then. I don't mind though. I do have one fish with a chipped eye. The wife wanted it so I had to get it for her. One of those...meet me half way type things. :D

Guess I'll have to keep the chastity belt on him or her! LOL

Eddie

CliffsDiscus
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Eddie,
Sorry but the chipped eye fish should of never been sold, they should of been culled.

Cliff

Eddie
11-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Hey Cliff,

Check out this thread. Although the chipped eye might not be something that a top notch discus breeder would accept, I would. I am just a hobbyist and I would definitely be interested in breeding with my chipped eye discus to see if it is actually the quality of the water or genetics. We shall see, if the fish will pair up in the future.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=57952

One thing I do notice very easily is the fish with the chipped eye does have issues with getting food, therefore it will certainly fall behind all the rest. If the chipped eye is genetic, than it would be necessary to cull the entire spawn. Again, getting way to far ahead...the fish may not develop and become weak from malnutrition.