PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo Gene

Eddie
11-16-2008, 05:45 AM
What is the dominant gene in the flamingo or velvet rouge discus? Is it a PB? What would be the best selection to pair with this Discus?

Thanks All,

Eddie

Rod
11-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Eddie,

I am not certain, but i think the flamingo and velvet rouge are controlled by the ressessive golden gene. Pigeon blood (red melon type) has also been bred into the line but a few generations ago now, and being a dominant gene it is easily removed while retaining some of the good features(ie no pattern and red color). At least that is how they appear to me! I have a pair of flamingos, but the 1st spawn failed and i'm waiting for the next one. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is a female flamingo in breeding colors, notice she has the black circle through the fins, which imo is a feature never found in discus controlled by the pigeon blood gene.

Rod

Darren's Discus
11-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Rod,
Nice Female,I currently have a new batch of about 50-60 Flamingo's day 4 free swimming.

cheers

Rod
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Rod,
Nice Female,I currently have a new batch of about 50-60 Flamingo's day 4 free swimming.

cheers

Thats great Darren, i hope they are successful for you. My pair respawned while carrying, i should have intervened, but i was too late. Oh well!

Great looking discus aren't they!! :D

Rod:)

Rod
11-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Eddie,

Just thinking about it, a very good friend of mine has just crossed a velvet with a flamingo, i seen the babies last week and there were some brown discus fry among them which i think will be significant to answering your question. But they were tiny and i didn't have my glasses with me...lol. Sorry i didn't think about it till now. I'll be going over there later this week and have a proper look and see if i can get you a better answer.

Rod

Eddie
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks all and beautiful fish Rod. It will be very interesting to find out how the fry turn out. As to whether or not 100% will be flamingo or velvet rouge.

Eddie

allan_mark76
11-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm too sure but wouldn't you believe there to be some san merah in the gene lineage too??? Of course the Red Melon and Golden there too....

~AKA~

Rod
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm too sure but wouldn't you believe there to be some san merah in the gene lineage too??? Of course the Red Melon and Golden there too....

~AKA~

Yes, i think they are all closely related. :) Differences off course, seperated by the genes controlling the base color. But similar!! :D

Rod
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi Eddie,

Sorry for the late reply to your question.

My good friend who has crossed the velvet rouge with flamingo, his breeding results are mostly clear light colored fry and some brown discus. This means his velvet is a heterozygous pigeon blood. I cannot yet determine the genetic base color as they are way too small yet, but i would expect there will be some golden based and some pigeon based.

I also visited another place (a large lps) that has a dozen or more med/lg ones and there was differences between them. Most where pigeon blood based and some were golden based.

They appear to not be a set strain as of yet.

hth

Rod

Ed13
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Were'nt Flamingos developed from Red Golden diamonds? Weren't RGD developed from Brown and golden crosses? At first weren't they claimed to have 0 PB?
I know that as RGD and Flamingos reached the hands of breeders other than Ung Sen Lip and/or Jeffrey Yang they tweaked them to their liking. I guess am wandering about the originals.

Eddie
11-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks Rod! I appreciate the response and the great information, very interested to know how the fish develop.

Eddie

Rod
11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Were'nt Flamingos developed from Red Golden diamonds? Weren't RGD developed from Brown and golden crosses? At first weren't they claimed to have 0 PB?
I know that as RGD and Flamingos reached the hands of breeders other than Ung Sen Lip and/or Jeffrey Yang they tweaked them to their liking. I guess am wandering about the originals.

I believe so. The rgd's i have seen look like golden based too me, as are the flamingo's. The differences i have seen is that the rgd is a darker fish, shows the vertical bars more, and looks overall a deeper red color. The flamingo's are a mutation from them whereas the bars rarely if even appear (i have never seen them on my flamingos anyway). the base color and red color also looks lighter too me. This is a selective bred variation, genetically different although very closely related. Not sure how rgds were developed, i can only relay little snipits of information i have seen about them. Apparently pigeon blood was crossed in, but it is dominant so can be removed without reoccurence in future generations. Dominant genes either are, or are not! If you breed with a heterozygous pigeon then select the non pigeon fry from the babies, those ones will not carry the pigeon gene to future generations. With a ressesive like golden gene, that will not be the case, the gene is carried in a % of the progeny even though they do not show the trait themselves. This is much more difficult gene to remove as it requires experimental spawnings to fully understand if there are ressessives involved in the genes of the fish you want to breed from.
I think you are right, many breeders tweak them to the way they like them the most. Weather we realize it or not many serious breeders practice line breeding for better or worse. Certainly there are many excellent tank breeds these days.

Rod:)

Rod
11-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks Rod! I appreciate the response and the great information, very interested to know how the fish develop.

Eddie

No worries mate. I love this sort of stuff and am happy to share whatever i know.