PDA

View Full Version : My trip to see Windy City Chris!

Porkchop
11-16-2008, 03:21 PM
I just got home a little bit ago from visiting Chris from Windy City Discus. I enjoyed going there and the experience. He had some amazing Discus and I can't wait to return next week and buy some (he recently got some and they are going through OT). I'm fortunate enough to live LITERALLY 2 minutes away from him so I can easily go back. I not sure if living close is a good thing or bad lol. I even got to see one some of the fry that looked like little dots. One of them swam away and the male sucked him up and spit him back on to the pipe. It was really cool to get to see that.

IMO, I think Discus look WAY better in person than through pictures. Having 2 tanks fairly empty and a possible 3rd one coming, my options are open and this is a great feeling.

Oh, and I plan on giving away those two Discus that I had shown everyone in the pictures discussion. Seeing the difference of what they are supposed to look like is HUGE.

I hope I didn't leave anything out but let me know if you have any questions. I just wanted to share my experience. Some people are not lucky enough to go and pick out what they are getting in person. There were so many there that I liked but only have so much money and so little room.

Anthony

Tropical Haven
11-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Glad to hear that you had a great experience from Chris. Chris is a great guy and has a really nice setup. Good luck on what ever you decide to buy I know you won't be disappointed.

kenhappen2u
11-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Glad to hear you were able to get a hold of chris and see his set up ... his fish are really nice and he knows what he is doing . i think living so close to him will be good thing. i live about 45 min from chris and its well worth the trip , i was fortunate that Scott (tropical haven ) was able to turn me on to chris and i was ale to convince you to give his unanswered email's another try . i am glad it all worked out and that you now have a great resource right in your own backyard .

Ken

Porkchop
11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Good luck on what ever you decide to buy I know you won't be disappointed.

Thanks! I have some ideas but they may change. I just got my 110 gallon today so I'm not sure what to do with it. The only spot to put it would be to put it where my 55 is right now. I want to put it in my spare bedroom but I can't do that until my roommate leaves.

Glad to hear you were able to get a hold of chris and see his set up ... his fish are really nice and he knows what he is doing . i think living so close to him will be good thing. i live about 45 min from chris and its well worth the trip , i was fortunate that Scott (tropical haven ) was able to turn me on to chris and i was ale to convince you to give his unanswered email's another try . i am glad it all worked out and that you now have a great resource right in your own backyard .

Ken

Yes, my backyard is right! I only hit one traffic light to get to his house. It doesn't get any better than that! Once again, I'm extremely excited to go there next weekend.

allan_mark76
11-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Give us all a progress report and pictures. Keep it up . ..

~AKA~

Porkchop
11-19-2008, 04:11 AM
For those of you who are keeping track of this post, I am extremely excited about going back to see Chris this Saturday to get some Discus. I will post pictures the day I come home or the next morning.

In the mean time, the last time I was there (Sunday) I bought a pair of German Blue Rams and they already spawned and are taking turns guarding their eggs. I was completely shocked to see this. These two were in a tank with about 30 others so for them to have spawned just 2 days after bringing them home is a little bit of a shock to me. Chris was the one who picked them out so maybe he planned it this way.

I have a couple pictures of the male over the eggs and I will post them in the morning some time.

kenhappen2u
11-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Anthony....i really like the Blue rams also , there pretty fun to watch i am suprised that they have spawed so soon but hey ...nothing wrong with that ...good luck with your new pair and eggs .

Ken

ps: post some pic's when you can

Porkchop
11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
These pictures were taken with my camera phone so the quality is not the greatest but here are the parents guarding the eggs.

Don't get it mixed up, I still want DISCUS!!! Just 3 more days till I go back to see Chris. These are the two Blue Rams that I bought from him on Sunday and they already spawned in my tank.

The male from the side view of the tank (you can see part of my Blue Turq in the background)
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_IMG00111.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=IMG00111.jpg)

The male from the front
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_IMG00112.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=IMG00112.jpg)

The female from the side
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/th_IMG00113.jpg (http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp151/anthonyporkchop/?action=view&current=IMG00113.jpg)

It's amazing that they spawned in the front corner where the most traffic is in that room.

Tropical Haven
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Congrats on the spawn, I have 8 Rams that I got from Chris as well.

CraigG
11-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Grats dude. How did you get a picture of them. I tried to take a picture of the ones mine just laid to post and I couldn't get a good picture.

My iPhone couldn't get a good picture nor my digital camera. They are both only 1.3 mega pixels guess I should look into upgrading my digital camera.

Its nice that yours laid them on the rocks...mine ended up laying them in the sand. They dug a crater out and they are right in the center.

Tropical Haven
11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
They are both only 1.3 mega pixels guess I should look into upgrading my digital camera.

That would be your answer.

Porkchop
11-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Mine are taken with my Blackberry phone. I'm amazed at the quality of that thing SOMTIMES, not all the time. If the lighting is right, you can get away with some good pics.

As for the eggs, there are only a few left. Most of the eggs are on the rock and clear so I'm assuming they hatched and either got eaten or are placed somewhere else. The male dug a hole in the back corner of the tank and nothing is there. The female dug a hole right behind the rock (of course where I can't see it) and she keeps going back and forth between the eggs and the hole so I'm not exactly sure what's going on right now. I just got home from work and have been gone for 15 hours so I'm assuming a lot has happened.

P.S. Still can't wait for Saturday :bounce:

Porkchop
11-23-2008, 01:46 PM
My new Discus (purchased from Chris yesterday) are settling in there new home. It wasn't much of a transfer for them since I only live 2 minutes away. I will post pics and a new thread when I get some time today.