PDA

View Full Version : snail question

mcgreg
11-17-2008, 04:29 AM
hello,i want to ask if it is possible that the water in my discus aquarium creates snails? The last time i put all the snails out and im sure that i dont let even one of them alive,but after 2 weeks they come again.:confused:

07 Maverick P51
11-17-2008, 05:31 AM
No, your water does not create snails. Even if you got all the snails out, you cannot locate all their eggs hidden in the plants, gravel, glass, and equipment. The only natural way to get rid them all is adding Loaches or Buffers into your tank. But Loaches are territorial and sometimes will not tolerate other fishes in their area (Botia are great for eating snails), and Buffers are fin nippers. If you keep crushing them against the glass everyday, eventually you will get all of them. It's just a lot of work. Fishes sometimes will eat the crush snails that are stuck on the glass.

11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
You might wish to place a couple slices of cucumber or zuchinni in a net and then after lights out place the net on the bottom of the tank. In the morning you can simply remove the net and any snails that may be in it. I would not recommend crushing snails against the glass. depending on how many you crush on a daily basis it could cause ammonia levels to rise.

Palue
11-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Hello, I am the snail Queen I am sure. They are unsighly and I just hate them. I bought 2 Assassin Snails last month. So far so good, could use alot more of these guys though. These snails eat other snails, they are doing a pretty good job but I am helping too. I crush any and all snails I can in the tank. I now that it is working as at night I don't see nearly the snails I use to. I also see alot of empty shells too. My only concern is those burrowing snails that are good for the gravel. I don't see a decline in them but hopefully soon.

I cannot add any loaches as I have shrimp in my tank and they will eat shrimp. I also see the shrimp at times holding a snail and eating it. Hey if that works to great.

I would never ever recommend any type of chemical (snail away, had a snail) as I used that many years ago and killed many fish in the process. So like mentioned either use loaches or try the Assassin snails but you need a few more than 2 of them to get the job done fast.

The cucumber and lettuce thing works too but it never gets rid of them completely just controls them.

Just to give you the heads up on how strong these guys are, I took all the gravel out of my tank a few years back. Added bleach and water and let it sit for 4 days with stirring in between. Rinsed like crazy and added this gravel to just an empty tank with nothing in it to see what would happen and low and behold many of them lived......:angry:

So they are tough.

Good Luck......Palue