PDA

View Full Version : I'm at work 10 hours each day - how do I feed 3-5 times a day?

CammieTime
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I work downtown and am gone 10 hours each day. Many here have suggested you need to feed discus 3-5 times a day...how can I accomplish that when I am gone most of the day?

How do automatic feeders work? How do they work with live or frozen bloodworms? Can they use pellets?

Or should I feed when I get up, right when I get home from work, and then before bed?

Don Trinko
11-18-2008, 01:47 PM
There are automatic feeders but if it were me I would feed before work, after work, and again 2 to 3 hours before I went to bed. Don T.

korbi_doc
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
:D I love my Eheim auto feeders & have'm on all my tanks....set to feed 2x or 3x/day with pellets...then in the pm, I use either earthworms or frozen HBWs.....they love them both, & if I am away on weekends, always are being fed the usual times...easy to get friend to drop in HBW cubes...JME,

Dottie ;)

Eddie
11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Eheim auto feeders are amazing. Just set the times you want them to feed and never touch them again until you need to fill it back up. Batteries seem to last a century! I would recommend them without a doubt!

Eddie

PS when I am not home to feed the kings of the aquarium, my wife is there to keep their bellies full.

GrillMaster
11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
If it were me...I would feed FBW before I went to work then let the auto feeder feed em pellets and flake 3 times while I was away. When I came home I would feed BH then do the WC that night...:)

1Chuck9669
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
There are automatic feeders but if it were me I would feed before work, after work, and again 2 to 3 hours before I went to bed. Don T.

That is how I feed. The fish are starting to get pretty big.

Lexopt
11-19-2008, 12:01 PM
I agree, the eheim feeder is very good. I'm away from my house 10-12 hours daily, and don't want empty stomachs during the afternoon. I let the auto feeder do the morning feeding as well, since it's dark outside when I leave and I don't like waking the fish up by turning the light on suddenly. I let the sun come up, then the lights come on by timer about 30 mins later, the the auto feeder dumps in the food. I usually have it set to feed 2 or 3 times during the day.

It's also great for weekend trips as previsously mentioned

hag
11-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I used to Feed my discus in the morning before school and then an hour before light out. Only 2 times a day and that worked out for me and I still had incredibly happy discus.