PDA

View Full Version : Mean Discus

Ziploc123
11-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I am having a problem. Just got the Discus. There are 5 in the 180 gallon tank. Three about 3 - 3.5 inches and two about 2 - 2.5. The smallest of the large Discus had taken to non-stop harassment of the other two large fish. The smaller ones are fine. I have a lot of driftwood. I also have an empty tank if he keeps it up. I tried to explain to him that the $39 fish is not supposed to bother the $70 fish.

I was thinking of getting at least one more of a similar size before I move the bad guy. I am in Minnesota and would prefer to MO in the spring to get something interesting, but may not be able to wait.

Palue
11-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Remember that Discus are cichlids. Pecking order will always be something they do. You have a nice big tank for the 5 of them. One thing you could try is to move all the driftwood around so they don't have their territories anymore. But then they will just setup new ones. I know what you mean about fish harassing each other it drives me nuts to watch it. Thankfully I don't have that problem. I don't know what else to add, maybe the more experienced folks here can chime in to help you.

Good Luck....Palue

Fishdude461
11-19-2008, 09:52 PM
I would suggest getting more discus. From experience ive had good luck keeping discus in groups of about 8-10. You have 180gal, plenty of space, and would look with 10 discus hanging out in there.

Ziploc123
11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
That is my ultimate plan once I find the extra $500 and Spring comes so I can be confident with MO.

07 Maverick P51
11-21-2008, 12:57 PM
[/B]
I would suggest getting more discus. From experience ive had good luck keeping discus in groups of about 8-10. You have 180gal, plenty of space, and would look with 10 discus hanging out in there.

+1... add more Discus.