PDA

View Full Version : filter material?

purplehaze
11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
hi,i have a 70gl tank with 5 discus, 4 sae ,4 clown loach and 2 banjo,there is a rena xp4 with some filter rock in th bottom basket and the other baskets have filter wool which has been working fine but now i am also adding a xp3 to my tank with a large uv sterilizer so i am wondering what would be the best filter media for a discus tank?

Eddie
11-22-2008, 05:05 AM
I am using EHEIM substrat pro as a media. It seems to be working really well and has a very good reputation. :)

geleen
11-22-2008, 09:02 AM
hi,i have a 70gl tank with 5 discus, 4 sae ,4 clown loach and 2 banjo,there is a rena xp4 with some filter rock in th bottom basket and the other baskets have filter wool which has been working fine but now i am also adding a xp3 to my tank with a large uv sterilizer so i am wondering what would be the best filter media for a discus tank?

While a lot of filtration is good this seems to be overkill, despite the large bio-load.
UV is rarely necessary.
J

Roxanne
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
While a lot of filtration is good this seems to be overkill, despite the large bio-load.
UV is rarely necessary.
J

Hi geleen

Not disagreeing with you at all:), though I have personally found it's good to have cycled back up filters ready to go, in case of emergency or someone needing a bio kick start, so I do the overkill thing and have more in the tank than I need...

Roxanne:)