PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to use undergravel filters for discus?

CammieTime
11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I have always used undergravel filters in my fish tanks. Are they required/beneficial for discus?

What is the opinion out there on undergravel filters in a discus tank?

11-19-2008, 02:12 PM
IME undergravel filters allow all kinds of crap to eventually find it's way under the plate and then water quality becomes much more difficult to keep up. ;)

Peachtree Discus
11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
you do not need.......and IMO you should not.

Graham
11-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Cammie. UG's where never a good idea. As has been stated they build up organics under the plates and those can/will go anaerobic depending on the maintenance given them. So besides loading up the water with DOC's, you could end up with methane or hydrogen sulfide being produced....not a good thing.

G

discussmith
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out a little here and disagree with opinions on U.G. filters. Back in the stone ages they were revolutionary when first introduced. Many lfs still use them because they are inexpensive to purchase and operate. While the statements made about the potential pitfalls are very true some of the cleanest and clearest water I've seen were in shops using them and properly maintaining them. The problem with all filters always is replacing and/or cleaning the filter media which is much simpler but not necessarily better in other systems.

Graham
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
'''...and properly maintaining them...'''

That's the catch.....I used then years ago and maintained them but they always end up with crud under the plate even if a siphon tube is put down there. There are so many other filter that are easy to use amd maintian why bother with something that can be a pita

ShinShin
11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
These filters are known as discus killers in the discus community.

Mat

Fishdude461
11-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Would also have to say no on the UG. I go the complete opposite..barebottom :)

TankWatcher
11-19-2008, 10:15 PM
I had UG on a small tank once, but wouldn't ever again. If ever the crud builds up under the plate & needs to be cleared out - you can only do this by removing the substrate & any plants & of course, the need to move the fish must also be factored in. A siphon tube just couldn't do it.

I find a cannister so much easier to maintain.

Wahter
11-19-2008, 11:55 PM
H*LL no!!! Keep that thing out of the discus tank!

Walter

ShinShin
11-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Wahter,

Well said. ;)

Mat

eqrenthorn
11-20-2008, 03:11 AM
Another vote for no here. Never needed one, never will. :)

rsawest@yahoo.com
11-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I would not recommend it.

dishpanhands
11-21-2008, 12:50 AM
How do you use a UG in a bare bottom tank? LOL

Thats a no from me also. UG can't be kept clean enough and that make them foul the water faster..

wolfbane
11-21-2008, 07:03 PM
/since I've been keeping discus, I got rid of all the UGFs in my tanks, includng the tank I care for at church. Great water quality now, and no stinky clean-up under the plates.

Darrell Ward
11-22-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm old enough to remember when UG filters were cutting edge equipment, even in marine tanks. I never liked them, due to the crap buildup under the plates. I only ever used one, in a 55 gal. tank many years ago. After about 6 months, I tore the tank down, and removed it. Filtration has come a long way since then. These days, there is no valid reason to ever use one, certainly not in a discus tank, where you want nitrates as low as possible.