PDA

View Full Version : Would this DIY be ok for Discus?

CraigG
11-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I have 3 pairs of rams one which is currently breeding. They have laid eggs and are doing great that I know of. They still look good the parents are defending the crater they dug with the eggs in it. They are still fanning them and they have been there for 2 days.

Well I was thinking about making a cichlid cave for them and I came across this.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/87.asp

Basically it shows you how to turn a coconut into a cichlid cave. Not sure how this would affect the other fish or if the coconut cave would fall apart over time.

Don Trinko
11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't think the Discus would use a cave. They like roots and plants. Don T.

John_Nicholson
11-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I have known other that have used them and they seemed to work ok. I have not messed with the dwarfs that much but PVC has worked for me.

-john

CraigG
11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I don't think the Discus would use a cave. They like roots and plants. Don T.

Oh they aren't for the Discus I just ordered a breeding cone that I'm going to put in the tank incase I end up getting a pair out of the 8 I have.

This is for my German Blue Rams and Gold Rams. I have a Gold ram that paired with a German Blue Ram, they have laid eggs and so far it seems they are doing well in the community tank with the Discus.

Porkchop
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
That coconut cave is a pretty cool idea.

BTW, my fry didn't make it. It looked like they were getting the fry as they hatched and putting them into a pit behind the rock but when my curiosity was killing me and I moved the rock, there was nothing there. So, I guess they will have to give it another shot in 2 to 3 weeks. Hope you have better luck and I still think it's weird that our fish spawned within a day of each other.

11-21-2008, 01:51 PM
German blue rams usually will lay their eggs on a smooth or flat surface and it is not uncommon for them to eat the first two or three spawns especially if the eggs become fungused.

CraigG
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM
German blue rams usually will lay their eggs on a smooth or flat surface and it is not uncommon for them to eat the first two or three spawns especially if the eggs become fungused.

Actually my laid them right in the sand substrate. They dug a crater (bottom of tank wasn't showing) laid them right on the top.

They hatched and they moved them to a new crater underneath my anubias. Where you can see their spawn just wiggling around near the bottom of the substrate. They aren't free swiming yet.

So my plan was to make this DIY cave put some moss on the top so it looks like a plant and not just a coconut in my tank.:p In hopes thier next batch they'll lay in the cave and not be disturbed by the rest of the fish. Not that they are disturbing them. These rams are fighting away anything that comes near them. Even my bamboo shrimp.

Apistomaster
11-21-2008, 09:31 PM
It is unsusual for ram not to eat their eggs or fry if they get that far. I have had one pair of rams raise a large brood just once out of over a 100 times I have bred them. I have raised well over 1000 Blue or Gold Morph of Blue rams over the years.

The half coconut shell is best for the other SA Dwarf Cichlids, Apistogramma spp in particular. Only the cave spawning spp use them. Rams are open spawners and never use a cave for spawning purposes. Coconut shell caves last indefinitely and their natural appearance blends into tank decor better tha PVC or clay pots but are not otherwise superior.