PDA

View Full Version : Does a discus tank need a powerhead and air stone?

CammieTime
11-21-2008, 02:43 PM
So if an undergravel filter is a not a good idea, then should I use a powerhead and/or an airstone to oxygenate the water?

How do you oxygenate the water without the airstones from the undergravel filter?

prashi110
11-21-2008, 02:56 PM
The best way is use a sponge filter !! It would even filter and also oxygenate. That is what mostly people on the forum also use !

Don Trinko
11-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Spong filter and also a HOB or canister. Don T.

cyang
11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
No powerhead needed. Stay away from undergravel filters, which are difficult to keep clean. Best is to go barebottom tank with no gravel.

Peachtree Discus
11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
i think this may be a personal choice thing.

for me, show tanks = HOB/canister, breeders = sponges, growouts =some sponges, some HOB/canister. i only use a powerhead if there is a bunch of gunk collecting on the surface of the water. but airstones never hurt and i think it does something psycological for the fish (JMO). I (1st) add a bubble bar to any tank that the fish seem to be gasping for air.

aquadiva
11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
My tank is BB and I have a sponge filter in it, an Aqua Clear HOB, a Rena XP4 a long bubble wand and an airstone under my one piece of driftwood. The Discus and Neons seem to enjoy the bubble wand as occasionally I'll see them swim through it in a group, like jump rope, :bounce2: all in a line! LOL! The combination of filteration and air bubbles seem to make everyone happy :fish:and keep the tank nice and clean. :D Oh, I also have a HOT MAGNUM on it for polishing the water. I think airstones are always a good idea as we usually keep the temps higher in Discus tanks so this gives them some added oxygen.

Anna

Porkchop
11-21-2008, 06:08 PM
So many people push the bare bottom look on this website. I know that it makes it a lot easier to raise them in many ways and I to have a BB tank but we all want a show tank. There are a lot of people who have setups that are not bare bottom. From reading CammieTime's other posts, I don't think BB is the look they are going for. They want to have Discus with a few community fish like Cardinal Tetra's.

Cammie,

I have a 55 gallon with sand, fake plants, and driftwood with two Emperor 400's which are HOB filters. The Emperor's do a pretty good job oxygenating the water. I'm not saying to go buy an Emperor filter but most filters will put oxygen into the water.

Do what Discus Maker said and just add a bubble bar and air pump if the fish seem to be gasping for air. Other than that, you should be fine.

Good Luck!
Anthony

Apistomaster
11-21-2008, 09:02 PM
I always include an air stone in my discus tanks unless they are equipped with airlift driven sponge filters since they supply sufficient circulation from the column of rising air.
I like bubbles aesthetically and discus enjoy a little current.
Alternately I sometimes run air under pressure into the venturi inlet of a power head attached to a sponge filter for a little additional aeration.