PDA

View Full Version : Trihalomethanes

Smoke to Fire
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

Today I received a letter in the mail from my posts water service stating that our water showed that Trihalomethanes have been measured at 88 micrograms per liter versus the EPA's limit of 80 micrograms per liter. They state that it is being corrected, though as of just yet it is nothing to be concerened about, though they are required to tell us.
The main thing I am concerned about though is will this affect my fish at all? Anybody have any experience with this before and if it changed anything? Currently I have three tanks set up, my discus tank with 5 discus, 15 cardinals and a bristle nose plec, another with a bamboo shrimp, 6 false julli cory's and an upside down cat, and a last with a betta.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Til then its off to google.

Thanks for your time,
Matt

plecocicho
11-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Trihalomethanes are formed as a by-product when chlorine or bromine are used to disinfect water for drinking (commonly known as disinfection by-products). They result from the reaction of chlorine and/or bromine with organic matter in the water being treated. The THMs produced may have adverse health effects at high concentrations, and many governments set limits on the amount permissible in drinking water. In the United States, the EPA limits the total concentration of chloroform, bromoform, bromodichloromethane, and dibromochloromethane to 80 parts per billion in treated water. This number is called "total trihalomethanes" (TTHM).

Chloroform is also formed in swimming pools which are disinfected with chlorine or hypochlorite in the haloform reaction with organic substances (urine, sweat and skin particles). The reaction to phosgene under the influence of UV is also possible. Some of the THMs are quite volatile and may easily vaporize into the air. This makes it possible to inhale while showering, for example. The EPA, however, has determined that this exposure is minimal compared to that from consumption
From wiki. Sounds nasty. I would overdose prime in that water and wait a few days before i would put tahat water in your tank. I would also suggest filtering that water through activated carbon.