PDA

View Full Version : RO experts a question about my unit.

Dave27
11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a 100 gallon per day unit that has a sediment filter and a carbon filter along with the membrain.
I have only been using the unit for 2 months and I run the back flush every time before turning it on.

I have noticed that the output has slowed down considerably. After only 2 months of use here in the midwest with only local tap being used what do you think the problem is.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sir Knight
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
There are 5 things that could be causing this assuming you don't have your lines kinked

1) Sediment filter needs to be replaced (check and see if it looks dirty)

2) Carbon block is clogged and needs replacing

3) membrane needs replacing ( if you have Chloramines and not using the proper carbon filter this could be the problem

4) your water presaure has decreased

5) your tap water temp is colder and causing you to produce less product water

I would check 4 and 5 first, then 1, 2 and 3, in that order

hope this helps,

Joe w.

Dave27
11-24-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure about the pressure, don't know how to measure that or what it was before.
Water temp has dropped, winter is starting here so that is a possibility even though it is not that cold.

My water company uses both Chlorine and Cloromines during different times of the year, but i think I have the correct filters.
My filters have no markings on them so it's a possibility.
Both look very clean.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Patr1ck
11-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Mine slows down alot in the winter when the water temp drops too. I live near Phoenix, so the temp really doesnt drop all that much here, but it still has an effect on the output. Also, in the directions that came with mine (Seachem Pinnacle), it recommended that I dont back flush the memebrane as it could result in scale build up in the membrane and shortening its useful life. It also says that backflushing uses the water that we are trying to purify as the flushing agent and therefore only contaminates the membrane more. Dont know which procedure is the right one, but just an idea.:)

Patrick