PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to acclimate/introduce new discus to your tank?

CammieTime
11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I will be getting some new discus soon and was wondering what is the best way to acclimate them to the new tank?

If they are new discus from the LFS still in the bag, how do you acclimate them to the QT tank? Float in the bag in the tank to adjust the water temp? Then dump them in?

Assuming they are done with QT, do you just dump them right in the display tank? Or do you use a divider to separate them from the others so they can acclimate themselves to the new tank?

I just want to be 100% sure that they don't die when I acclimate the new fish to my water and tanks.

Eddie
11-24-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, there are a number of way to acclimate your discus and I'm sure everyone does it different. If the fish are from the LFS, I just float them for 15 min and then open the bag and roll down the top a few times so the bag will float. I'll add a 1/4 cup of water to the bag every 5-10 min until the bag gets pretty full. I'll then pour out half the bag into a small bucket or container and repeat with adding a 1/4 cup until the bag is filled again. Then I'll just net the fish out of the bag and place the fish into the tank water.

My QT matches the exact water parameters as my main tank. After any temp changes from QT, I'll simply adjust the QT temp to match the main tank again. I normally just net the fish out and add the fish to the main tank. I don't use dividers because the fish is gonna have to get used the environment.

Thats just my way and I am sure you will get find tons of different ways.

HTH
Eddie

CraigG
11-24-2008, 09:33 PM
I put them in a bucket and do a drip acclimation. Its very easy.

Supplies:

1-5 Gallon Bucket or any type of container you want to use that will hold the discus and water.

1- 8 foot airline tubing

1- Airstone and pump I use a battery operated pump for this just easier to pack everything easier.

I slowly pour the discus into the bucket. Then put in the air stone. Put the 8 foot tubing into my tank and start the syphon process. Then put a knot into the airline tubing to control the drip.

Let it slowly drip for about 20 mins. Then increase the drip so its a bit quicker. I do this for about 2 hours and slowly increase the amount being dripped into the bucket.

I tie knot around the handle of the bucket so that it drips directly into the bucket without hittig the sides.

CammieTime
11-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Are discus very fussy when it comes to acclimating them to new water environments?

Eddie
11-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Depends on the difference in water conditions. My current fish are from the LFS and their water is exactly like mine at the house. :)

hyperfocus
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
The drip method described on Drs. Foster & Smith's website is what worked to finally get my Cardinal Tetras to not die...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article_print.cfm?dept_id=&aid=157

They suggest NOT using an airstone. And based on my experience, i would have to agree. Also, an airline control valve makes adjusting the drip much easier.

I would also leave the lights off for the remainder of the day. Probably not necessary if the fish are picked-up from the LFS, but i still think it would take some of the stress off the experience.