PDA

View Full Version : hey need some help asap

tonythediscus
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
could i use a uv sterilizer in my discus tank
i'am running a overflow system(not using bio ball,made my own filter pad) and a emperor 400 bio wheel

Graham
11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi You can use an UV on any system, but why. With proper water quality and good husbandry bacterial populations will be very low to start with

tonythediscus
11-24-2008, 07:56 PM
i was wondering cause i have 26 discus i wanted to keep the water super clean

Graham
11-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Good well manitained filtration and water chnages will do that and there no electrical consumption

CraigG
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a reef ready tank as well and I use a UV Light with live plants and my plants are doing great. They keep sprouting new plants.

I did it to minimize algae blooms but still keep it running. You won't get rid of all bacteria and disease just what passes through it there isn't a real way to kill them all.

It did help with the tannis from my 5 pieces of driftwood. Some where to big to boil.

Harriett
11-25-2008, 02:37 PM

I am wondering what size discus in what size tank you are talking about--you have a moderate amount of filtration only. You have a LOT of discus....now I understand why you may be thinking you need a UV going but that is not the solution here, in my opinion. Either you are running a large tank on insufficient filtration or you are running a smaller tank with ok filtration for too many discus. Either way it doesn't add up and I think you would get into trouble real quick. More info is needed on your set up in order to help sort this out.
Best of luck,
Harriett.

tonythediscus
11-26-2008, 11:24 PM
it's a 100gal i'am running a overflow, the sump tank is a 30gal with two filter pads that i made(no bio balls) i think the overflow box filter runs 600gal a hour, and a emperor 400 bio wheel filter
i'am deciding to put the UV sterilizer in but still have medicine in my tank for the gill fluke

tonythediscus
11-26-2008, 11:55 PM
6 5in ,15 4in ,5 3in

Porkchop
11-27-2008, 05:36 PM

it's a 100gal i'am running a overflow, the sump tank is a 30gal with two filter pads that i made(no bio balls) i think the overflow box filter runs 600gal a hour, and a emperor 400 bio wheel filter
i'am deciding to put the UV sterilizer in but still have medicine in my tank for the gill fluke

Whoa! I'm no expert but that's a lot of Discus in one tank. Even with that filtration, I hope you're doing a lot of water changes.

Good Luck
Anthony

aquadiva
11-27-2008, 07:40 PM
:shocked2: I think you may have too many Discus in your 100 gallon tank. You'll need to thin it out a bit and in the meantime, do large volume water changes every single day. Also add a sponge filter or two in there. An air wand may also be a good idea. Just throwing ideas out there until you can get a few out because in the long/short run, you may run into trouble with a tank that overcrowded. :(

Anna :angel: