View Full Version : What do you feed discus?

CammieTime
11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I am just curious what is the best food for discus?

The LFS guy says just live bloodworms, but the wife says no way to a tupperware container full of them in the fridge. I assume you can get frozen ones?

What about flakes or pellets?

hyperfocus
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
4 feedings per day...

1) Frozen Bloodworms
2) Homemade Beefheart
3) TetraColor Bits
4) Frozen Bloodworms

My Blue Turq will only eat bloodworms so i do them twice a day(he's a bit of a snob).

CraigG
11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I have a wide variety of food I feed mine. I try to mix it up everyday so its not the same stuff over and over. Only thing that doesn't change is what gets fed at noon. Most of my frozen stuff is from Hikari.

Frozen Bloodworms
Live Blackworms (thanks to Dan)
Frozen Tubifex worms
Cichlid Delite Cubes
Wattley Discus Cubes
Frozen Beefheart
Frozen Brineshrimp
Live Brineshrimp
Frozen Mysis Shrimp
Hikari Granule Discus Pellets
Spectrum Discus Pellets
Frozen Daphnia Cubes
O.S.I Discus Flakes
Tetra Color Flakes

**EDIT**
You could also buy a small fridge to keep the live black worms in if you'd like

Lexopt
11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
I feed only frozen bloodworms in the evening , 2 types of flake food from angelsplus 2-3 times daily and occaisional frozen brine shrimp (1-2 times per week)

I've tried beef heart before, but I don't like the mess it tended to make in my tank, I think my home made recipe wasn't very good.

Fish seem to grow fine with this, though not breaking any records.

Eddie
11-25-2008, 07:51 PM
FBW
Fish/Shrimp Mix
DiscusGrow Beefheart mix
TetraDiscus pellets
Freeze dried Mysis Shrimp
TetraColor Flake

vincentliu89
11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
bloodworms!

ekurutz
11-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Although I might not be as experienced with Discus as some of the other posters on this forum, I suggest feeding them Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp, in combination with a variety of other frozen and dried foods. I recently introduced my Discus to the Spirulina Brine Shrimp, and they normally are rather picky with new foods but they attacked their Spirulina Brine Shrimp! I also like feeding it to them because it is fortified with vitamins and minerals, and goes through a 3 step steralization process. Try it once and I guarantee your fish will thank you for it!

I regularly feed my Discus:

Frozen Blood Worms
Brine Shrimp
Spirulina Brine Shrimp
Tetra Color Bits

Patr1ck
11-26-2008, 03:28 AM
I feed mine omega brine shrimp and mini blood worms in the morning and, spirulina brine shrimp, glass worms, and daphnia in the evening. I threw beef heart in the mix for awhile but, I too didnt like the mess it made.

Patrick

Deepak
11-26-2008, 04:15 AM
TetraBits. I used to prepare Heart mix when young (discus not me ;)) but now don't have much time.

Don Trinko
11-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Feed a variety of food. Some should be dry processed food (flakes or pellets) because they have vitamins added. All live or frozen may not have the neccisary vitamins and minerals and is expensive.
Whatever you feed them they need to eat it. Some need to be aclimated to the dry foods.
When you buy your discus find out what they are being fed. Don T.