PDA

View Full Version : Thick poop, i will explain

Esquire
11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I have 1 fish 4" blue diamond that when it poops' its like a log in comparison to the other fish. It's almost dbl. the diameter of everyone else's. It also will stick out of the fish as long as a 1/4" before it breaks off.
The fish seems completely healthy, eats great and is very active.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Don Trinko
11-25-2008, 07:26 PM
My BD (blue diamond) are the same. It is like rocks. My syphon sometimes will not pick it up and I have to use a net.
I have 6 different varieties of discus and the BD are the only ones that have the large poo. Don T.

Esquire
11-25-2008, 07:33 PM
It's painful to look at some times.
It's like it is birthing an Alien :alien:

Eddie
11-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Yup, them BDs sure know how to clog the filter! I thought somebody dropped a piece of driftwood in tank when I wasn't looking! :shocked:

Eddie

Wahter
11-25-2008, 08:27 PM
That's common in blue diamonds.

Walter

Ed13
11-25-2008, 09:22 PM
At first I was laughing:o sorry but it sounded really funny the way you put it, but it seems that some of you guys think that BD are commonly producing bigger "logs" than other strains:confused:

Seriously? How's that possible if it's the same biology in them and the same diet?
Could it be a perspective issue? Could it really be the genes related to the BD?

cyang
11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I am the same way.

Rod
11-25-2008, 11:01 PM
At first I was laughing:o sorry but it sounded really funny the way you put it, but it seems that some of you guys think that BD are commonly producing bigger "logs" than other strains:confused:

Seriously? How's that possible if it's the same biology in them and the same diet?
Could it be a perspective issue? Could it really be the genes related to the BD?

I'd say its genetic, blue diamonds always poop logs like that, but blue diamond crosses do not. I'm not aware of any other discus strain that does it!

Rod:)

Wahter
11-26-2008, 12:22 AM
I am the same way.

Sounds like you need more fiber in your diet! Just kidding!!! :D:D:D

Walter

Ed13
11-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I'd say its genetic, blue diamonds always poop logs like that, but blue diamond crosses do not. I'm not aware of any other discus strain that does it!

So while the recesive gene that makes the fish all blue could come "attached" with a "huge log" producing gene?:o
Could this gene manipulate the size, thickness, or effectiveness of the intestinal tract of the fish?

I guess this is a side effect of selective breeding to express a particular trait, the good along with the bad comes along.

Don't you love when fish poop makes for a serious topic? lol

I am the same way.
:laugh::mods:

Patr1ck
11-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys, I neeeded a laugh first thing in the morning.:D My 3" BD's poop is the same size as my other 5" discus'.

Patrick

tpastrana
11-26-2008, 03:55 PM

Feels weird to say this but I am so glad I came accross this thread!! I have 9
different strains of discus in my 90 gallon and the only one that goes to the bathroom like this is my Albino Blue Diamond.. I was afraid to ask this question.. Thanks ;)