PDA

View Full Version : Immune Plus?

aquadiva
11-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Has anyone ever heard of the product Immune Plus http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3974+4262&pcatid=4262 and if so, do you think it would be a good thing to add regularly to the Discus tank or a waste of $? :o It sounds great :thumbsup: but I don't know if it really lives up to it's name or not. :confused:

Anna

1Chuck9669
11-26-2008, 10:58 PM
If you are performing frequent water changes then it is a waste of money.

Graham
11-27-2008, 12:18 AM
save your $$$

Darren's Discus
11-27-2008, 02:40 AM
save your $$$

Exactly !

aquadiva
11-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the replies! Some of these products claim to do so much but since I have wasted money in the past, I am asking hobbyist's now before purchasing. I'll pass on this one. :D:D

Anna

MostlyDiscus
11-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I do whatever Graham says :D Save the bucks. eh

Graham
11-27-2008, 12:42 PM
I was quick with the answer last night and these products are not needed but having said that, they do work. Independent studies done by koi hobbyist have shown that they work.

It sounds like Immune Plus works no different that Koizyme or Enzyme. These products work by Competitive Exculsion..... basically 2 life forms can occupy the same environment competing for the same resources at the same time...one will loose out.

So what these products do is introduce non-pathogenic bacteria, and enzymes that reproduce quicker and then, compete and consume all the nutrient (nitrogen) quicker than the pathogenic species do. The bad guys starve to death, lowering their CFU numbers.

If the water has a lower bacterial level then it's less likely that the fish will become infected.

We generally keep our aquariums very clean, with large water changes; This by itself accomplishes the same thing. So why waste the $$ on something thats not going to accomplish anything more than what we are already doing.