PDA

View Full Version : Filtration

evokitan
12-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Just wondering on whether i may have too much turbulance with the filtration that I have. I have 9 2.5- 3 in discus in a 45 grow out. Soon to go in a 75 by the way. I have a Marineland C360 and emperor 400, is this too much? I only say alot of turbulance because when feeding time, seems like the food travels too quickly for the discus to catch and feed. It is a bb tank if this should help. also using a hydor for aeration. feeding them 3x per day with 50% water changes twice per week . any suggestions would be appreciated !!

thanks

Patr1ck
12-03-2008, 03:22 AM
It sounds like alot. I did the math and I get 16.89 tank turnovers per hour on your tank, that is alot. My 90 gallon has an penguin 350 and a fluval 405 with a tank turn over rate of 7.67 per hour. The flow ratings of the filter assembly are for just the pump motor itself. The output of the whole system is less when the water is actually flowing through the filter and therefore the turnover rate is less also. I would say go with just one of those filters that you have on your tank. BTW, how do you like your marineland c360? Im interested in getting one.:)

P

evokitan
12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I will use just one in that case. The marineland C360 is Nice. Its quiet, room for media is great ( seems to fit more than a fx5 ) easy to clean and does the trick. Cant beat it for the price.