PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of hair algae ??????????

aztecdiscus
12-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I have a big problem with hair algae it grows in my tank driftwood and it is spreading into some of my plants specially in some anubias and crypts so I need some of ya advise and I need the help quick before it spread all around my tank..................

pcsb23
12-04-2008, 07:33 PM
hair algae indicates you have got your tank "out of balance", too much of one of the macro nutrients most likely phosphates ime. No point getting rid of it without fixing the underlying cause 'cos it will just come back.

Direct appplication of hydrogen peroxide will soon sort it though, use a few mils at a time and dose a small area each day, use the H2O2 at 3%, 6% or 9%.

TedS
12-06-2008, 12:16 PM
I am far from an expert, but I'll tell you what worked for me. I was having the same issue with my tank. I cured the problem with Bristlenose Plecos and Otos.
They actually cleaned the leaves on my anubas and crypts without any damage. I've had them about 3 weeks and my tank is almost spotless. One of my 6 otos was a dreaded "attack oto" but I removed him and have had no issues with the rest.

mehran
12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
For me algae is always associated with excess of light and not enogh of CO2.
You can increase your CO2 up to 30ppm or using high dose of Flourite excell.
Here is a good link about diffrent algae and cause of outbreak.
http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/

luminary88
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Marc Weiss Organic Algae Magic............yes it really does work. I had everything from green soup to hair algae...you name it...probably an imbalance of nutrients...too much light, but I like it. I heard that someone just used this to balance off all nutrients in the aquarium, so I now use it for my plant food as well. I don't use CO2 injection and yet my plants look better and better each day after using it. The first time I used it was for green soup algae. Within 2 days it was better. By the fourth day, my tank was never so clear. I use it for three days when I change the water once very two weeks. It replaces lost minerals through my 10 stage tap water filtration. I also use Marc Weiss aquarium Vital once a week. The whole habitat is much more luscious. I don't know how exactly the stuff works, but it does.