PDA

View Full Version : basic help needed

architect1
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
hello all hears my tank that I have for my breeding pair. i took them out but u get the idea what it looks like.

I am on a 3 floor room. and the tank is tap water, and i clean the poo feed normally ph 7.4. Now the problem isnt getting them to have swimming babies but its keeping them long enough to grow them and sell them. I have had them have about 5 in a row spawns all 4 days after the last batch. I get wigglers and they swim around but some one eats them every time.

Vern Archer
12-05-2008, 12:34 AM
are the fry going to the back of the parents or just swimming around aimlessly?
v

architect1
12-05-2008, 12:43 AM
from what i see they hang out at the eggs.
I havent seen them go to the parents. but when they stry the female pics them up n spits them where the eggs are.

Vern Archer
12-05-2008, 12:54 AM
they usually do that for a day and then the babies go to the back so if this is not happening and the babies are being eaten ..I would keep the most attentive parent with the fry and remove the one that isn't doing their job and see what happens..
v

architect1
12-05-2008, 01:44 PM
lol i tride that she ate the whole batch befor they hatched. so then i moved them back in the big tank.

I was thinking could it be that there low and if I move the tank higher so they can see everything better, would that help?

Vern Archer
12-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Not sure if that would be the problem..how old a pair are they? what are your water conditions? v

architect1
12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
there like 3 years old the ph is 7.4 the amonia 0 nitrites 0 the other is at 0-5 i have to check. the hardness no idea but i get babies so it cant be that much of a problem.

Vern Archer
12-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Not sure at this point have you tried removing female and leaving the young with the male late on the 3rd day since she is the one eating ..v

architect1
12-06-2008, 12:29 AM
we thing the male is eating them because hes never doing anything. shes faning and protecting them.

so i moved the male out just before they were going to hatch and she ate all the eggs the next day.

The felmale is doing her job hes not.

Vern Archer
12-06-2008, 11:13 AM
wow this is a hard one..is she on a 10 day cycle laying eggs? during the egg laying through to hatching do you do any water changes? and what do you feed the parents during this period? v

architect1
12-07-2008, 07:49 PM
hahaha sorry I thought they would of done it naturally. I was just thinking maybe putting in a pies of pvc so that its light colored verses the dark red sleight.

yeah id say 10 days because the time to lay and watch the eggs till hatch then eat then wait 4 days to re do it.

I did do a water change a couple of times. but that was because there was food in the bottom and I wanted to keep it clean.

i feed them the ground up beef heart.

I was thinking of covering the tank so they have appsalute privacy.
thank you for the constant messages back.

Vern Archer
12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
ok avoid the water change I use a net to scoop up uneaton food...changeing the water chemistry will put her in spawn mode wanting to lay eggs she eats the present spawn..also covering may help I have put my pairs in the least travelled area of my fishroom..they are up high eye level so they can watch me I leave some residual light on at night nightlight so they can see there young..no problem I hope I am able to help.
v

Vern Archer
12-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I am using pvc at the moment but have used clay with good results not sure if thats a factor.
v

MostlyDiscus
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Are the pair fighting at all? How many fry are we talking about still on the cone b4 free swiming? Although you may get hatches the fry may still have problems. Discus see better than we do. Check your water hardness and treat your WC with prime....

Vern, I have a pair of albinos that produce around 200 wigglers every spawn. You want to get back into artificial raising again? Brent said you were the man. He may be comming down in a few weeks and may be able to bring them back up eh Let me know... They are free.. Ed

architect1
12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I live in a house with 3 other renters. I can move them up higher but to move them in an area were nothing ever goes will be hard lol. I can stop the water changes and I will get a pice of pvc some time.

well last time i checked i get about 30 babies. if I had an ro unit then i could change the hardness of my water but since i'm a student its so much work to set it up and tare it down every time i move.

I guess i need to move the tank, some where in my 11 x 13 room lol. I have a closet that has a fridge in it could i put them above on the fridge and get the closet doors and hid them in there so they have privacy?

Vern Archer
12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Ed, I'll sure give them a try, let me know when and water condition pH and I will dust off the incubater:) thx v