PDA

View Full Version : Video, What worm is this in my tank?

Alfred
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
This video shows what I have in my tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NmcXUN9iw4&feature=related

The wiggly snake like worm, mine are not that big, 1/4" at longest, What is it?

It's not planaria.

Im told they may be microscopic in my tap water as I have them in my fish tanks and a tank I am cycling where no cross contamination could be possible. Apparently they grow to visual size in warm water of the tank.

1. I don't think they are harmful to fish, but what about in a breeding tank, eggs and fry?

2. Can these be filtered out with a sediment filter on my water main line?
3. Also will a dewormer kill them?

thanks

Diamond Discus
12-06-2008, 11:53 AM
You have a lot more than a worm in there....

Alfred
12-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Thats not from my tank,
I just used it as a reference example of the kind of snake like worms I have.

Graham
12-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Not sure what it might be other than fish food, but if it's coming out of your tap, you have much bigger problems than the fish do:shocked2:

rfeiller
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
are you on a well? i have seen worms similiar to that in planted tanks, do you have any plants in your aquaria?

Alfred
12-07-2008, 02:58 PM
No well, only tap and RO.
Bare bottom tanks only.

moik
12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
WC,WC ,WC and less wasted food in the tank,will fix them. I think they are bristle worms. Harmless, but they multiply with the right enviroment. Do you feed live black worms? Alot of hitch hikers come along with them. (I do not care about anyones opinion about black worms, I have had my own experiences/problems with them . They are not worth the trouble they bring into your aquarium or for the fish. I do not feed them NO MORE.))Things like this just do not mysteriously appear without a cause. I have a friend that feeds live black worms religiously . He has the same worms in his tank as your video shows. If you have a sponge filter in that tank, try this---Take it out and put it in a small tank with no fish and food being put in , (Airation and heat still being used)and you will see how many more there are in that sponge filter.To feed or not to feed black worms is a never ending debate. You must establish your own conclusion . I just hope this is not coming out of tapwater.

Alfred
12-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah I do daily 50 % WC and make every effort to suck up any I see. Fish eat a lot of them. Most are like 1/8 " long. move with the current.
I'm shocked that I have them in new tanks that have had no chance of cross contamination and are only going through a fishless cycle.

I would NEVER mess with live worms of any kind. There is no need to with such excellent Hikari frozen medicated foods.
That is just asking for trouble.

I'm sure they are in my sponge filters but I don't know how to eliminate them without destroying the Bio.

Any suggestions on that would be appreciated.

moik
12-07-2008, 04:21 PM
As for where the worms come from, nobody knows for sure.Just as long they are harmless. Changing water is just a part of doing a "water change". I usually wipe down the insides of the tank also while doing a water change. As for things like planaria and etc. You just have to watch what you feed and how much at a given time. I only feed beefheart just before a water change is to be done.I know it is hard to avoid planaia with healthy discus being hungry ALL THE TIME!! Feed them alittle less at feeding time but do one more feeding a day. You will find the equalibrium that works best for fish health/growth and water quality being good. Just have to feed them good and keep up with water changes. Please do not think that any given situation/possible problem needs a medication or chemical to resolve it.Usually the wrong decision. The basics are best- Clean water, proper amounts of foods per feeding,good variety of foods,appropriate stockings levels of fish per tank. To sum it up - if you create the enviroment ,you will have the problems. The best remedy is prevention.

Alfred
12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I totally agree, I always wipe down the glass during WC.

Unfortunately, I think I may have to use a DeWormer to rid the tanks of the worms.
Just keeping them clean will never get rid of them now that they are in there and in the sponges.