PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right ammonia?

Ed13
12-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Like the title says:D...is this the right one to cycle a tank?

Ingredients:
Ammonium hydroxide solution, anionic surfactant, non ionic surfactant, Opacifier, Clarifying agent, salts (inert)

This as close as I've gotten to finding clear ammonia in some years of looking, actually I "borrowed" a half empty bottle from my mother:o when I saw it. But, I've a feeling I'll need to keep looking:(

William-LIC
12-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't use that for anything other than stripping my floors. (IMHO)

Ed13
12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
:DActually I don't even like to use ammonia on my floors:p. I had a feeling it was the wrong one. What should or shouldn't be on the ingredients list?

Graham
12-05-2008, 10:56 PM
:confused: Look up chemicals in the local yellow pages phone book...and go from there.

Ed13
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
:confused: Look up chemicals in the local yellow pages phone book...and go from there.
Will do G. I did sometime ago contact a few people and the only "clear" I could get was in industrial quantities, otherwise it either had colorants or perfumes and in many cases both.

I'm very likely just do as usual, low quantities of fish in larger bodies of water with plenty of water changes.

Graham
12-05-2008, 11:13 PM
:( I've got a chemical supply company here that will sell me anything in the smallest quantities that he can get it in....Now I had to buy 50# of calcium hydroxide and 5# of malachite green...but I got what I wanted :)0

chemical supply companies

Don Trinko
12-06-2008, 09:46 AM
You might try your local IGA. The IGA brand name has no addatives. A pharmacy may also have some. Don T.

Ed13
12-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Don T are you talking about the Independent Grocers Allience (had to look it up:))? There is no such thing here, at least not the way they seem to be structured.

Don Trinko
12-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Try any of the local brand names(kroger, foodtown etc) or the cheapest ammonia. It should be clear and not foam when you shake it. Don T.

roadracr
12-06-2008, 04:25 PM
After weeks of looking, I found the right ammonia at an Ace hardware store. This was Ace brand clear ammonia and was 10% strength (which is quite strong). About $2.00 for a quart. You might have to call a couple of Ace stores to make sure they carry it.

This worked well for my fishless cycle. Good luck.

Roadracr

Patr1ck
02-16-2009, 07:47 PM
After weeks of looking, I found the right ammonia at an Ace hardware store. This was Ace brand clear ammonia and was 10% strength (which is quite strong). About $2.00 for a quart. You might have to call a couple of Ace stores to make sure they carry it.

This worked well for my fishless cycle. Good luck.

Roadracr

What are the ingredients to the ammonia at Ace? Any surfactant? Is a surfactant even a thing that I want to steer away from?
Thanks,
Pat