PDA

View Full Version : Greeen pair with eggs

swami
12-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Greetings all.Came home yesterday and saw this.All i do is feed with color bits,blood worms and CBW and do water changes. And of course look at them as often as I can.Water change into the tank <100 microsiemes.don't even check PH on a regular basis. 125 gal with 8 other discus.return pipe just above so maybe the eggs have not been fertilize.will see later on.

tacks
12-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi great pictures, nice looking fish, good luck with the eggs. Please keep us updated. thanks Ed

Eddie
12-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Wow, nice! The discus are beautiful.

Eddie

plecocicho
12-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Parents are absolutelly gorgeous!:D. Hope you have some luck raising the fry. Would you be so kind and post a short description of your thank in your wild discus tanks thread?
lp

William Palumbo
12-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Congrats Swami!...That's one SWEET pair!...You've got to keep us posted on the spawns' progress...Good luck...Bill

jimmyjoe
12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
WOW, that is a huge clutch of eggs you have there, good luck with the spawn........Jim

Ed13
12-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Nice discus and a big clutch of eggs, congrats!

wgtaylor
12-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Swami, they look great.
Are these the greens that you have had now for about two years? Sounds like you have added more discus to the tank.
I see they laid on driftwood, do you still have a bare bottom? You have done a great job with these, congratulations on the spawn. Wish you the best. Bill

mckchu
12-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Nice fish! Beautiful Greens.

swami
12-07-2008, 08:28 AM
just looked in the tank and i saw only 5 white eggs thus far.these fishes were added this year.The ones i had posted a while back seems like all males. I thought i had one female but no such luck.A question for all. should i continue to do water changes as usual? 25-30% every thursday and sunday? one due today. thanks. S

AlexR
12-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Swami, no I would stop waterchanges for about 10 days. In this time reduce feeding to avoid polluting the water. The fry will not hatch if the water is to fresh.

You can also use seperate tank to prepare fresh water with peat or other things, put some airstone and circulation with a little biological filtration. Leave a least 5 days untouched before you use it.

Keep temperature at about 28°C, KH below 2, PH below 6,6 and stop the filter for some hours when you recognize the pair is spawning. (Usually afternoon/evening)

All the best from Germany!

Alex

Zulu
12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Beautiful greens you have!! Good luck with spawn.

swami
12-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone.Well i did a water change yesterday and when i woke this AM most of the eggs were missing from the top of the drift wood (read your post too late Alex) but the pair was still hoverinng nearby. Now @6:30 EST i realize that they moved the spawn lower on the drift wood.Does not seem they are equal to the amount off eggs laid. I promise, after dinner i will post a shot or 2. will try and get light so the pics will be visible. S

Darren's Discus
12-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Nice looking pair,keep us updated on their progress.

cheers

Wahter
12-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Nice looking pair! :) Good luck with the eggs. :)

Walter

swami
12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
first pic was this AM almost no eggs to be seen. I thought that they were eaten.The other pics this afternoon proved me wrong. S

Darren's Discus
12-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Looks like a nice batch their !all the best with them.

cheers

Pelle
12-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Fantastic!!! Nice looking couple you got there.
Keep us updated.

Pelle

Rod
12-09-2008, 05:45 AM
wow stunning discus. Good luck with the spawn :)

billeagan
12-09-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm jealous... All I ever wanted for Christmas was a wild breeding pair....

I can't wait to see how the juvies grow out the parents are gorgeous.

VIOLIN33
12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
VERY NICE FISH LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF EGGS GOOD LUCK..

swami
12-10-2008, 09:31 PM
well I have good new and bad news. the good news the spawn is free swimming, the bad news they are getting lost in the tank ( 125 gal),and the return fllow from the sump pump is sending then through the egg crate separating the tank, where the vultures behind the egg crate is having a good meal.if any survive i will post.thanks again to all. S

swami
03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
have been laying regularly,but now the babies are attached after some improvisation in the tank. about 20 babies on the sides of the parents.pics are not great, will post more when the fry gets bigger.they are 1 week post free swimming.

DiscusDude85
03-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Great pictures. Very cool. Best of luck you have your hands full ; )

Joe

rwong2k
03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
great news and nice update!

Just wondering, how long are your lights on for this tank? (thinking if the photoperiod makes a difference in triggering them to spawn)
thank-you
Raymond

plecocicho
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Raymond from what i have heard of other wild discus breeders (blue and green discus), you need:
1. LUCK:D
2. good soft and slightly acid water
3. well balanced and diverse food
4. sudden change of high air pressure to low presurre (this is the main trigging point as it mimics the begining of the rain season, coupled with
5. substantial wc with cooler and softer water (mimicing rain).

pan
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Raymond from what i have heard of other wild discus breeders (blue and green discus), you need:
1. LUCK:D
2. good soft and slightly acid water
3. well balanced and diverse food
4. sudden change of high air pressure to low presurre (this is the main trigging point as it mimics the begining of the rain season, coupled with
5. substantial wc with cooler and softer water (mimicing rain).

Hello plecocicho can you explain a little more the 3 and 4.
Thanks in advance

plecocicho
03-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Hello plecocicho can you explain a little more the 3 and 4.
Thanks in advance
Today 03:41 PM

At the end of the drought season in the amazon, water levels are preatty low, water temperatures are little higher and food is scarce; air presure is very high, thus preventing of forming the clouds. With the shifting earth air masses, large masses of air stumble on the andes mountains and unload large quantaties of water through heavy raining. That coupled with snow melting in the andes triggers swelling of rivers and their water flow increases heavilly. Some moist cloud masses move east form the andes and make quickly moving cold front, which drastically lowers the air pressure. So the rising of the river waters (which are mainly contributed by the rain showers and snow melting of the andes), drastically and quickly lowered air pressure, cooling and softening of the
river waters (all three result of the local rains) is a mark to all fish, not only discus to move to the flooded forest. Rich feeding grounds in therer give enogh energy for fish spawning. Besides washed up microorganisms and other small animals, land insects which fall in the water, rich growth of algae and detrit deposits on the bark of flooded
trees, many trees and shrubs bear fruits and seeds which are rich in sugars, vitamines and minerals, required for successfull spawning of the discus. You can read about it in the article posted in this subforum.
So what all this means to our wild discus breeding?
Well first you must feed balanced food which menas the mixture of meaty foods (like various frozen or live mosquito larvae (white, red), artemia, white worms, or if you insist beef hearth or sea food mix) and a substantial part of food which is more ballested like fruits and vegatables(banana, mango, letuce, blackberries),
spirulina, other kid of algae and animals which have more chitinous outer body like small shrimps or daphnia.
Second, at least one slowenien and AlexR had success with the breeding because the sudden change of air pressure coupled with the wc of cooler and softer water made wild discus think that the raining season has begun and so they spawned. Above mentioned fall of air pressure isnt always easy to predict so that is why you need luck.
Heiko correct please if i have said anything wrong and if this is also confirmed by your observations.

swami
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
My tanks are located outside so they get the morning sun. i never use a light .
my h2o is soft about 80 microsiems into the tank. feed color bits,blood worms and black worms.and the rest is sheer luck.i did notice though that with cooler h2o they seems to do better. i am sure in the amazon the temp can get to say 70 degrees during the night.

rwong2k
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
At the end of the drought season in the amazon, water levels are preatty low, water temperatures are little higher and food is scarce; air presure is very high, thus preventing of forming the clouds. With the shifting earth air masses, large masses of air stumble on the andes mountains and unload large quantaties of water through heavy raining. That coupled with snow melting in the andes triggers swelling of rivers and their water flow increases heavilly. Some moist cloud masses move east form the andes and make quickly moving cold front, which drastically lowers the air pressure. So the rising of the river waters (which are mainly contributed by the rain showers and snow melting of the andes), drastically and quickly lowered air pressure, cooling and softening of the
river waters (all three result of the local rains) is a mark to all fish, not only discus to move to the flooded forest. Rich feeding grounds in therer give enogh energy for fish spawning. Besides washed up microorganisms and other small animals, land insects which fall in the water, rich growth of algae and detrit deposits on the bark of flooded
trees, many trees and shrubs bear fruits and seeds which are rich in sugars, vitamines and minerals, required for successfull spawning of the discus. You can read about it in the article posted in this subforum.
Well first you must feed balanced food which menas the mixture of meaty foods (like various frozen or live mosquito larvae (white, red), artemia, white worms, or if you insist beef hearth or sea food mix) and a substantial part of food which is more ballested like fruits and vegatables(banana, mango, letuce, blackberries),
spirulina, other kid of algae and animals which have more chitinous outer body like small shrimps or daphnia.
Second, at least one slowenien and AlexR had success with the breeding because the sudden change of air pressure coupled with the wc of cooler and softer water made wild discus think that the raining season has begun and so they spawned. Above mentioned fall of air pressure isnt always easy to predict so that is why you need luck.
Heiko correct please if i have said anything wrong and if this is also confirmed by your observations.

Ah interesting stuff,

thanks for posting

Raymond

rwong2k
03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
My tanks are located outside so they get the morning sun. i never use a light .
my h2o is soft about 80 microsiems into the tank. feed color bits,blood worms and black worms.and the rest is sheer luck.i did notice though that with cooler h2o they seems to do better. i am sure in the amazon the temp can get to say 70 degrees during the night.

Wow, I wish I lived in an area where I can keep an aquarium outside =)

pan
03-31-2009, 03:58 AM
:thumbsup:Thank you very much for your detailed answer.
We look forward to listen Heiko's Bleher Opinion in that subject too.

swami
04-18-2009, 10:28 PM
well it has been about 1 month and everything seems to be going ok. I am feeding decapsulated brine shrimp and frozen baby brine twice during the week and about 4 times on weekend.. I am letting the parents tend to their young and water change when i have time.the babies appears to have no type of deformities,but that is just the eyes of a novice.enjoy.
Sharaz.

Eddie
04-18-2009, 10:38 PM
well it has been about 1 month and everything seems to be going ok. I am feeding decapsulated brine shrimp and frozen baby brine twice during the week and about 4 times on weekend.. I am letting the parents tend to their young and water change when i have time.the babies appears to have no type of deformities,but that is just the eyes of a novice.enjoy.
Sharaz.

Great work and beautiful Green!

Eddie

Yassmeena
04-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Sharaz.

Beautiful Sharaz! Excellent job! Please do post updates!!!

~ Yasmin

Diamond Discus
04-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Wow, that is really impressive. They are a great looking pair, I imagine those babies will be in great demand!! Congratulations!

TankWatcher
04-19-2009, 08:26 AM
That is a beautiful pair of greens you have there. Fantastic job with the fry. Look forward to your updates.

discusluvr818
05-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Congrats!! Beautiful pair and cute lil' fry. My discus spawn like crazy but have not successfully gotten them to free swimmer status or to hatch even for that matter. Great job!!

Condor
05-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Outstanding! Great job, thanks for posting!

Adrian

mbviola1
05-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi: 100 microsiemens equals what in tds? I have some wild greens and am learning fast; RO water with tds of 150; but am wondering if softer water would be even better. Am aware of ph but I do frequent water changes. I need to be able to figure microsiemens to tds. Help.

swami
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
Updates.after 2 treatments with prazi ,knock on wood everything is ok thus far. no more deaths.they are housed with a spawn from wild green and a domesticated red Turquoise( no space available).