PDA

View Full Version : New Stream with Giant Discus

belowwater.com
12-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Some of the biggest Discus i have ever seen. Enjoy the photos.

Ed13
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
WOW, those are big boys! I see a heckel bar. Any more info or pics?

illumnae
12-06-2008, 11:30 AM
wow amazing! Wish I could get those in my tanks!

Moon
12-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I suppose those are going to Japan for thousands of Yen each.

Ed13
12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I suppose those are going to Japan for thousands of Yen each.
Isn't the poster Oliver Lucanus, then they might go to Canada for thousands of CND!;)

belowwater.com
12-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, really something for the Japanese market. I will bring 4 fish in for myself though - just to see how they do in the aquarium.

Nearly all blue discus from the Santarem and Nhamunda region will show the dominant bar, especially this time of the year as the fish are preparing to breed and there is a lot of courting going on.

brewmaster15
12-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow! very very nice! I would love to have them:(

Thanks for the pics Oliver, very nice indeed!

-al

ShinShin
12-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the pics, Oliver. Very nice.

Mat

Darren's Discus
12-06-2008, 06:48 PM
some huge slabs,i could do with a couple of those in my tanks.

cheers

kaceyo
12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Those are some BIG Beautiful fish. Thanks for posting them.

Kacey

Discus-Hans
12-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Oliver,

Very nice stuff buddy.

See you in Holland March 2009, looking forward to it,

Hans

bs6749
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Those are terrible looking fish! Send them all to ME so I can take care of them for you : )

Zulu
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Aaaaaaaaah!!! I´m crazy for them. Amazing discus, thanks for share it with us.

Tad
12-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Oliver,

definately not from the Congo river :D

those discus are beyond description!

Are you doing expeditions again in the Amazon?

regards,
Tad

rsawest@yahoo.com
12-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow Oliver, that's amazing. Thanks for posting these pictures.

belowwater.com
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Tad,

I am always going around 3 times per year to South America, twice to Africa. Mostly for another project.

O.

PS: The best fish have always been going to Asia, even before most of us younger ones kept discus. The great red spotted green varieties that were coming out of Hongkong were raised out of the best wild fish from Tefe - which have always been sold to Asia.
All this happened long before our group started looking for good quality red and Royal discus around Santarem and Alenquer. Until then only few discus came out of that region. Now a number of people have tried to establish a business and lost their shirt in Santarem. The whole business is much smaller than anyone thinks, and there is almost no fish that has gone through only one pair of hands. Really the market for many mid level aquarium fish such as discus is now broken (like most other markets worldwide)....

Tad
12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Good hearing from you again on the forums Oliver,

Is pollution an issue in the area that you collect from, Seems like a lot of the Rain forest is being tapped for agriculture, or becoming dump areas for industry like strip mining and logging!

As always Im amazed at the quality of discus you have access too, You have provided me with some awesome specimens in the past ;)

regards,
Tad

AlexR
12-09-2008, 12:28 PM
These are from Lago Feliz? Great fish!

Alex

YSS
12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow! They are almost as big as my wild brown. :D Seriously, they are huge, but my wild brown is a big boy in his own right. :) Nice fish!

billeagan
12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Awesome, as usual...

jim_shedden
12-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Awesome Oliver

Thanks
Jim

Ramon Anastacio
12-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Those are very nice, Oliver.

The Royal in the first photo is quite the specimen.

All of my wild discus have been supplied by Oliver, and they have been nothing short of spectacular.

MRmister
12-26-2008, 06:25 AM
HI Oliver,

My friend here got one from Onoda this year, maybe the same place where you got the giant discus. It is really huge in size, very nice fish.

MIKE

plecocicho
12-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Jezus christ! That is one large discus! Do you know from is where it ?

Heiko Bleher
12-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi guys,

merry Christmas still to all of you - although late - and a healthy and happy 2009.

These are nice large discus, but not the largest I have seen in nayure. Some of these you can see in my book. Together with the late Manuel Torres we collected the largest ones in all of Amazonia (to this date recorded) in the Rio Arapiúns region, with 22cm (SL) body size, almost 10 inches across. But always (as these from O.) Symphysodon haraldi. See on page: 196 and 269 in my book.

But the Lago Nhamundá has probably in average the largest discus in nature, and the roundest.

All the very best, from a collector (all his life),

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

MostlyDiscus
12-28-2008, 12:51 AM
Hiko, Get those discus to the states for purchase and I may consider buying your book. LFS has it(picked it up today). Can you get such fish to the USA? Ed Most

MRmister
12-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Hi all, I got another picture for you to compare the size of this fish. It is 22cm after measurement in size.

Eddie
12-28-2008, 02:58 AM
That is a monster! Isn't the correct name of that species megalodon! :)

Eddie

vera
12-28-2008, 04:16 AM
WOW!!
soo beautiful,
MRmister did u buy him that size ?

Zulu
12-28-2008, 04:18 AM
Wow!!! what a big boy and lovely...

Eddie
12-28-2008, 04:22 AM
I think the only thing you could pair that guy up with is a cockerspaniel!

MRmister
12-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I did not buy this fish. I just a guy who loves to take photo of discus.

Roxanne
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I think the only thing you could pair that guy up with is a cockerspaniel!

lol:D ....or maybe one of Discus Hans' Jumbos...

...in this day & age that comment will give some mad scientist weird ideas Eddie!:D

Eddie
12-28-2008, 05:47 PM
...in this day & age that comment will give some mad scientist weird ideas Eddie!

I think with some selective breeding ...it could happen. We'll teach'em to fetch and rollover.

:D

GottaBeKiN
12-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Wow, its like a plate!

Heiko Bleher
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ad: I visited several breeders in Taiwan, which were having discus - tank raised ones - with almost 30 cm (12 inches) across, real giants, much larger than any wild wild ever grow.

But they did not only get this (monster)size by selective breeding, but mainly by 100 percent water change twice a day and - constant - feeding of the young during growth, about 16-time-daily.

But more about this and plenty of photos in my upcoming volume II (again with over 3000 photos...).

All the best

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

JeffreyRichard
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Just wondering ... was Heiko an insurance salesmen or telemarketer in a previous life?

Discus-Hans
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ad: I visited several breeders in Taiwan, which were having discus - tank raised ones - with almost 30 cm (12 inches) across, real giants, much larger than any wild wild ever grow.

But they did not only get this (monster)size by selective breeding, but mainly by 100 percent water change twice a day and - constant - feeding of the young during growth, about 16-time-daily.

But more about this and plenty of photos in my upcoming volume II (again with over 3000 photos...).

All the best

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

Heiko,

please............. 30cm/12" that is done with what women call a men ruler,

Hans

Eddie
01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Just wondering ... was Heiko an insurance salesmen or telemarketer in a previous life?

lol, probably. Actually more like life insurance salesman :D

Eddie

Heiko Bleher
01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Hello,

trying to finish volume II, another monster...

Hans: have a look in my book: DISCUS (not Bleher's Discus vol I, that has only wilds, and surely the largest mentioned in it), there you see the Taiwan monsters. really those m were by far the largest I have ever seen.
Question: Will you be in Orlando? if yes e-mail me.

JeffreyRichard: sorry to disappoint you, no insurance salesmen or telemarketer but a fish-man in a previous life, and also in the one before, and before (goes back to the 14th century - that is as far as I was able to look....

Best regards from a fish-man throughought 8buty maybe also a aquatic plant man, in any cas in the water...)

always

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.comù

PS: did you all see what went up to day on our home page? Interesting for Hans also

Discus-Hans
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Heiko,

I will be NOT in Orlando, to busy at the moment, can't leave the business,

Hans

mckchu
01-15-2009, 10:27 PM
I have seen many 22cm and 25+ cm domestic discus in Asia. Unfortuantely some doesn't look like "discus" anymore because not only are they large in length - they became very "thick" in width too... I never get a chance to measure them but if I guess 2" thick I don't think I will be far off!

Reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger before he started wearing a suit. Wonder if the Taiwan and Malaysia people give their discus dumb-bells as well as 16 times beef hearts a day ...

As Heiko mentioned, and many marine aquarist knows - fish never stop growing!

Time to go feed the fish and do water change now ... shouldn't be lazy sitting here... he he!

Michael

MRmister
01-16-2009, 02:53 AM
Hi guys,

All the best

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

Many discus fish farms in Taiwan are my good friends, could I know whom did you visit?? I am also a Taiwanese, I hope to know who can raise discus to 30cm.

Heiko Bleher
01-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi,

name of breeder and the discus are in my book: DISCUS by Heiko Bleher & Manfred Goebel, 1992

best regards

heiko

Discus-Hans
01-16-2009, 09:56 PM
You can't remember what you wrote and just tell the guy?????

A Discus forum is the help people and NOT ONLY to promote your books,

Hans

tacks
01-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Heiko I have read all your post in the past, notice I said past. Your repley to the name of the breeder that someone asked was uncalled for. I would not buy one of your books for all the tea in China. ED

MRmister
01-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Hi,

name of breeder and the discus are in my book: DISCUS by Heiko Bleher & Manfred Goebel, 1992

best regards

heiko
ok! tell me which one?? and the page number plz!

davejep
01-17-2009, 02:16 AM
You can't remember what you wrote and just tell the guy?????

A Discus forum is the help people and NOT ONLY to promote your books,

Hans

I agree with Hans, I am fairly new to this forum but after a reading a lot of posts he is 100% right. A LITTLE self promotion is alright but we are all here to share and learn. Maybe a little more sharing is in order...
my 2 cents

mikishuhoo
01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Oliver,

Those fish look so awesome!

Kenny

belowwater.com
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone,

Sorry for not replying in my own thread. I do not go on forums because as i expected this has turned into a p*ssing contest for certain people to promote their products and ego. If you have questions about these fish, their size, my size, etc. please email me directly.

Or just as our forum expert, he knows more than all of us put together anyways, about any subject. Or even better: buy all his books, that way you can just figure it out yourself.

Best Wishes,

Oliver
http://www.amazon-below-water.com

belowwater.com
11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Hello Everyone,

This is why i do not go on the forums, since the interesting threads always get kidnapped and turned into a p*ssing contest by certain people. My point was only to show everyone some nice fish, which were swimming in my home in Canada for the past year. I was not trying to sell them, my books or say that mine is bigger than anything. Too bad that the beginners on the forum have to deal with this all the time.

If you have any questions about the fish please email me directly, my sincere apologies for not wanting to have a public debate.

Or better yet, ask our forum expert (if you do not already own all of his books where you could look it up) he know more than all of us put together anyway.

Oliver

Heiko Bleher
11-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Hi,

I just think there are some people who want to turn things around – their way. That is ok.

And Hans, I do not need (and I am sure you know very well) AT ALL to promote my book. I was just trying to give a reference that is all (which is usually done around the world - you also refere to fishes you have in stock - at least I have read it on several forums). For me it is impossible to remember the names of all the breeders I have visited and published (just writing up nearly 600 from around the globe right now, how should I or anyone remember all their names???).

I had good intentions, but people like to twist things so they look good (and others bad), I feel sorry for those. Or maybe they need to write something to justify themselfs.

If anyone is interested, just e-mail me aquapress@aquapress-bleher.com and I look it up myself in my book, no need of anyone to buy it.

best regards
Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com

Ed13
11-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Oliver, I understand your feelings about not wanting a public debate, but knowing you still have these AWESOME discus makes me want to ask if we can get an update on them. I would really like to see pics of them (especially the one on the first pic) in an aquarium environment.

Pics alone would be fine too.

MarkPulawski
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes how about pics of the few you put in your own tank, any trips to collect more?

Tito
11-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Hi guys,

All the best

Heiko Bleher
www.aquapress-bleher.com
www.aqua-aquapress.com

Is there a garantee that these breeders don't "juice up" these fish?

I just find it rather strange that a Discus can reach 12" merely through selective breeding and a rage of water changes.

Tito
11-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Some of the biggest Discus i have ever seen. Enjoy the photos.

These Discus look to be about 8" if that is a man's hand handling them. Can you imagine a 12" Discus?

belowwater.com
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
I will post some discus photos in the tanks in two weeks when i am back in the office.

The hands under the wild fish in the photos that started this thread are mine. (the last three) those who know me can measure the size from that. My hand from base to tip of middle finger is 8.5"(22cm), the largest fish that we caught there was 24cm.

I will agree with all of you that the "giant" discus in Asia are very large but not very good.

Oliver

Oh, and please by my book, not 3000 photos of discus in it, but there are 3.

belowwater.com
11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
The last 3 fish are on my hand. My hand measures 8.5" (22cm), and i photographed the best, not the largest fish.

I will post some photos of the fish in my tank soon.

Oliver

Kevin22
11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
looking forward to get couple big guys from you.

The last 3 fish are on my hand. My hand measures 8.5" (22cm), and i photographed the best, not the largest fish.

I will post some photos of the fish in my tank soon.

Oliver

Ed13
11-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Looking forward to the pics! Thanks Oliver!:)

rwong2k
11-14-2009, 04:20 PM
looking forward to get couple big guys from you.

Hey Kevin,
will you be doing an order from Oliver?
wondering if i can tag along to save on shipment

thanks
Raymond

Kevin22
11-18-2009, 03:55 PM
sure, if we are ordering the same time

Hey Kevin,
will you be doing an order from Oliver?
wondering if i can tag along to save on shipment

thanks
Raymond

MarkPulawski
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey Oliver I was thinking...a stream, how big is the stream? I assume it feeds into a big river but what a nice find in a stream.

BobDaniel
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if there was any updated information on these giant fish?

I did see one huge discus in my life. At the time it was owned (bought as an adult) by a fellow named Bob Lippenmeir (spelling may be wrong, its been a long time-late 1980's) of Greenfield, NH. The fish was a solid color blue and as big as a dinner plate. He called the fish "Godzilla". I think that Bob tried breeding this fish but it was rumored the fish was sterile.

hekdiscus
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if there was any updated information on these giant fish?

I did see one huge discus in my life. At the time it was owned (bought as an adult) by a fellow named Bob Lippenmeir (spelling may be wrong, its been a long time-late 1980's) of Greenfield, NH. The fish was a solid color blue and as big as a dinner plate. He called the fish "Godzilla". I think that Bob tried breeding this fish but it was rumored the fish was sterile.

Dear BobDaniel

These fish were collected in the lakes of the Trombeta river and sold by the Japanese, Yamamoto and kamoshiba wbsabby, for Canada,.
They invented the name Solomon, thinking that would protect the lake from other fishermen.

I've been in the lakes of the Trombeta river , and saw the kamoshida fishing this varieties of Discus.

In the Curuai lake near a City of Curuai have the same fish with 20- 24 cm ( Dineer plate )
see the picture

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/08-2.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/_DSC6512.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/_DSC6493.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/curuai51copy.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/curuai49copy.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/0002.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/0001.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/new11.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/curuai12.jpg

These fish are larger than 20 cm by 24 cm , and were not caught in the magic lake, Salomom ........

Hudson

hekdiscus
07-19-2012, 10:01 AM
In the lakes of the river Purus,
Lake Ayapua, Uauaçú and Jari, Discus also occurs with the same size and quality.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/IMG_0166.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/IMG_4988.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/IMG_0113.jpg
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/HudsonHek/_DSC6342.jpg

Hudson

Swedgin
07-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Speechless.....

Moon
07-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Wow 8" WC discus. Amazing.

zimmjeff
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
that blue one is amazing

dpete9
07-20-2012, 08:56 AM
Stunning.. and truly wild giants

laupao
07-20-2012, 01:16 PM

What type of wild is this? It's look amazing !!!

hekdiscus
07-20-2012, 02:43 PM

What type of wild is this? It's look amazing !!!

Curuai lake discus , xlg /show size 20- 22cm

Hudson

BobDaniel
07-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I am certainly impressed! The Blue with the red eye is a monster! 4 of them would fill a 125 gallon aquarioum quite nicely!

Floppy Fin's
07-26-2012, 11:11 PM
These blow my mind... I have a empty 110 gallon tank that would love any group of 4 of these monsters... If there is ever a group order.. let me know please.. With sugar on it..:)

nikond70s
07-28-2012, 07:24 PM
im more impress on the nice round shape of these wild discus then the size. i cant imagine the price on one of these discus.