PDA

View Full Version : Pot Anubias??

Eddie
12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I've read that you could but to just make sure the rhizome stays out of the substrate. Is this true? I've got 3 huge bunches of anubias that are easily 12" in height and I would like to pot them. Any suggestions

Thanks
Eddie

Mr Wild
12-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Why pot them? I have all mine just on peices of driftwood they can easily be picked up and moved around the tank and it makes for great hidey holes for you friends.

Eddie
12-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I like the look of them potted but not sure if it is good for the plant. I have read conflicting data as to whether or not they can be planted. Anybody have them planted.

Nice picture Mr. Wild.

Eddie

scottthomas
12-09-2008, 06:35 PM
I have two large Anubias that I put in pots. Easy to clean around! I just barely covered in some gravel. They like the roots exposed. They are healty and growing after about 6 months.

Eddie
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
How did you keep it potted if the roots stayed exposed and you only put a small amount of gravel? Thanks

Eddie

scottthomas
12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I used two about quart sized (maybe a tad smaller) plastic pots that looked about right for my anubias nana that had been growing on some drift wood. (It had gotten pretty big and much of it was just sitting on the bare glass bottom of the tank.) I put a smaller pot upside down in each one just to take up some room. I put a layer of about pea sized + gravel to fill each up . It didnt take much gravel becasue the pots were over half filled with the upside down pots. I did cover the roots with the gravel but made sure the rhizome/ stem part was exposed. They dont grow well if they are covered. The plants were a little loose at first. I was just careful when I moved them when I needed to vaccum the bottom of the tank. It didnt take long for the roots to secure themselve pretty well to the gravel.

Eddie
12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Wow Scott, interesting idea. I do have some pots I bought for the anubias that would probably be perfect for your set-up. I'll give it a try.

One other thing, do you think a fertilized/plant substrate would negatively affect the plant? Thanks

Eddie

scottthomas
12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I dont know. That is a good question. My plants are healthy with big clean leaves for last 6 months. I trimmed them up a bit before going into the pots and they have grown several more leaves. (Wish I had a way to post a picture.) However, they are a slightly lighter green since I removed them from the drift wood. Do they take any nutients from the wood? I didnt think so but maybe they did.

Ed13
12-09-2008, 07:45 PM
You can def plant them, try to keep the rhyzome above the substrate and a gravel that form crevices (one that doesn't compact too much). Your biggest hurdle is that the plants tends to grow in a linear fashion(at least it did for me) from the rhyzome, so a rectangular pot is better in you want to keep it potted:).

a nutritious substrate will in no way harm the plant.:)

Eddie
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Scott and Ed,

I just tied the plants to the bottom of the pots since there were holes at the bottom and added a few rocks to weigh down the pots. They look REALLY nice. Thanks for all the help!

Eddie

Eddie
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Here are few pics of the potted Anubias:D

Mr Wild
12-10-2008, 04:05 AM
Hey they do look good, let us know how they go, I add a capful of seachem's flourish to my tank about once a week and mine are flowering like mad! Still wierd for me to see almost empty tanks I am so used to the fullly planted with substrate..the whole deal... but your fishies seem to like it.

Eddie
12-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Hey they do look good, let us know how they go, I add a capful of seachem's flourish to my tank about once a week and mine are flowering like mad! Still wierd for me to see almost empty tanks I am so used to the fullly planted with substrate..the whole deal... but your fishies seem to like it.

Thanks Mr Wild, I'll definitely keep on the updates with the plants and the fish. I ordered some flourish a while back and I am still waiting for it to arrive. I'll be adding silica sand to the bottom over the weekend so it will start to look a little more "Natural" but I guess you really won't find potted Anubias out there in Discusland. LOL

Eddie

scottthomas
12-10-2008, 08:20 PM
lol. That looks almost just like my tank with potted anubias, except I have white pots. They will work great. I noticed one of mine was flowering. Iv'e never had one do that even when it was attached to driftwood.

Scott

Wahter
12-10-2008, 11:38 PM
You can even just tie the Anubias onto a rock and they'll still grow. :)

No substrate needed.

Walter