PDA

View Full Version : What strains are more resistent?

FLGirl1977
12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
What strains of discus are less likely to get/show peppering?? I've read somewhere that the albino strains are more prone to showing it. I love my black background, and my blue diamonds look stunning against it, but my red guy (don't know what he/she is) is definitely showing more peppering since I got him/her. Not really sure what strain, in fact... I think this one was hormoned, it's almost too red. I could be wrong, and I guess I won't know for a few more months. My LFS just called him 'red'... oh well... :o

What strains besides blue turks and blue diamonds are resistent to this? I love PB's, but try to avoid them even as pretty as they are because I have a darker tank.

What about leopards? Any others?

moik
12-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Albino strains are a good choice.

FLGirl1977
12-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Albino strains are a good choice? For peppering? Which strains don't have peppering though besides red turks, blue turks, and blue diamonds? Are these the only guys that don't get peppering? :confused:

Eddie
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Actually FLG, there are quite a few strains that don't have peppering. I couldn't name them all but I believe peppering originated from pigeon blood strains. Fish with the pigeon blood gene can have a range of heavy to little or no peppering at all. I think the term clean means less peppering. Not 100% sure but from what I have read.

I don't think leopards have peppering but I could be wrong. My leopards don't have peppering.

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Only Pigeon Blood based discus have peppering. Anything else that has no PB genetics in it is fine.

-Ryan

FLGirl1977
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
So something like an albino royal blue or yellow diamond won't get peppering? I've loved those, but always steered clear of them for fear of peppering...

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-09-2008, 10:07 PM
An albino type cant get peppering. A yellow diamond is traditionally a PB based fish. Granted, most now a days are very clean and have minimal peppering.

-Ryan

FLGirl1977
12-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks so much for all your help! I will be sure to consult with you guys before I make any future purchases! ;)

What would be a great color along the reds/goldens that aren't PB based? Or are they all? Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area...

Eddie
12-09-2008, 10:28 PM
If it's for the biotope or wild tank, why not look into some wilds that have a red base?

FLGirl1977
12-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Heckels are still in the equation, just looking at all options! ;) I had this beautiful girl (at least to me) in the past and the bit of peppering she had was frustrating!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/IMG_5035.jpg

It was worse when she was in my tank with the black background, but it got better in this tank (Q-tank), but alas she passed. :(

She was my favorite girl though....

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Where at in FL are you??

FLGirl1977
12-09-2008, 10:59 PM
In Cape Coral (Near Fort Myers)

Eddie
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Nice fish but definitely could be cleaner. It's nice though :)

rfeiller
12-10-2008, 12:10 AM
the pigeon blood open a whole new palette of color possibilities, but the black has always been the curse. i visited Kitti in Bangkok in '01, he developed the PB, he had non-hormoned glow in the dark red and orange discus that he was then working on. this man controlled 125,000 discus through his organization.

brewmaster15
12-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi Renee,
Your Pigeon snake was actually a pretty nice looking Fish...to me... I'm not a pepper Purist:) a little pepper to me is what makes a pigeon a pigeon ......That pepper was really not that much for a Pigeon... If it bothered you, then I'd definetly stay away from pigeon based fish... You should be fine with albinos, and if its Orange or red that you are interested in, the Pb lines with Golden crossed into them tend to have less pepper....and there are some lines like RGD's (RED Gold Diamonds) that have no Pigeon and no pepper.

Blues like cobalt, Blue Diamonds, Blue snakes, as well as red turqs are all Pepper free.... The key as Ryan said is if its Pigeon based.

Good luck,
al

FLGirl1977
12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Thank you Al, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the compliment on my girl too.... just too bad she isn't here anymore. It was one of those mystery illnesses that was unexplainable.

Harriett
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Renee', you have been given accurate info regarding PB=peppering potential, but I just wanted to add that using a dark background for some non PB strains will also tend to affect the darkness of their coloration. The 2 strains that I saw this most significantly when I changed from black to light blue green on my big planted tank were in the blues and turqs. They became much lighter and more brilliant with a lighter background [and lighter substrate in this tank]. My non PB yellows, and spotted fish did not change when I lightened the background. I have a nice tangerine/red male that is non PB who also looks brighter in the lighter color also. I am not a huge fan of the light color myself esthetically compared to the beloved drama of the black background, but the discus look better and I believe may actually be a bit more relaxed in the tank---
Best regards
Harriett

cquann
12-10-2008, 11:14 PM
What strains of discus are less likely to get/show peppering?? I've read somewhere that the albino strains are more prone to showing it. I love my black background, and my blue diamonds look stunning against it, but my red guy (don't know what he/she is) is definitely showing more peppering since I got him/her. Not really sure what strain, in fact... I think this one was hormoned, it's almost too red. I could be wrong, and I guess I won't know for a few more months. My LFS just called him 'red'... oh well... :o

What strains besides blue turks and blue diamonds are resistent to this? I love PB's, but try to avoid them even as pretty as they are because I have a darker tank.

What about leopards? Any others?

Hey, I would love to see some pictures of the BDs in the black background if that is possible for you??? Truthly looking forward to those pics. thanks

FLGirl1977
12-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Never got a picture of her in the other tank. Just in the Q-tank and unfortunately she didn't recover from her illness. :( PB's (before they start peppering) are absolutely STUNNING with a black background though, it really made her color 'pop'.

FLGirl1977
12-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Here she is with her 'mate'... I put her friend in to make her feel more comfortable:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/IMG_5049.jpg

Funny, I thought she was getting better. I still didn't see her eat, but she and her friend would lay eggs every week (had to be two females). We left on vacation for a couple of days and when we came back she had died. :( Her friend was still alive and never got sick...