PDA

View Full Version : Just a little Update from a newbie 1yr into Discus

LostAcres
12-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Just a little update from a one yr old newbie...... for those of you new to discus, it might be interesting, and those of you that have dealt with them for years (probably boring for you guys LOL).

Got into them about a yr ago, had fish keeping experience, but not discus. Everything I learned about them came right here from Simply. After a rough start, I ended up with 3 tanks, 75g, 55g, and 50g. All of my fish came from one sponsor of Simply, other then the two LARGE wilds, which live in the 50 gal. and if anything else, have gotten even more shyer as time has passed on. Guess that's what you get when you have a wild caught animal.
The other tanks, 75g houses 6 Blue diamonds and one Albino, the 55 g houses 3 Red Rose and one Yellow diamond, after my two leopards passed away within two weeks of each other, no reason, as remaining fish are fine. I followed everything that I learned and was suggested here, massive water changes while the babes were growing from 2 inches to their respective sizes, bare bottom tanks, feeding 6 to 8 times a day (an easy thing to do when working from home). Never introduced any more fish, there are a few pleco's and a few rummy nosed tetras that inhabit those tanks, and one has a very fast multiplying colony of Cherry shrimp, which is another story when trying to clean tank. Now we are at some live plants, driftwood, and sand substrate. After reflecting in this past yr, I have slowed down on water changes. Maybe 30% twice a week. Also slowed down the feeding to three times a day vs the 6 to 8. All fish are healthy and happy, hate strangers, until for the first time I missed the noon meal, and a friend walked down to see them and they were all lined up, where they normally hide, if they see a strange person. I can touch every one of them, they feed out of my hands, They stare down the terriers, lots of personality.

Still wondering why 3 of the 6 Blue Diamonds never grew much. The biggest is more then 7 inches, biggest discus I have ever seen, the rest are around 5 inches. All the other fish have put on size and are 5" plus. Same food, same handling. I watch at feeding time, they are not bullied, if anything, they bully the bigger ones. Have not gotten a pair in that tank, although in the other tank, the red rose have laid eggs four times.

I find all very interesting, and since I am not into breeding and selling, I just LOVE to see and watch how they have developed over the past yr. I need to take a pic of the 7+ inch Blue Diamond. He/She is just magnificent.

On the other hand, I have a 29 go tank that houses just Cherry shrimp, and lots of live plants. My original 20 shrimp turned into 200 or more, too many to count.... Time to sell some Cherry's.

It really is nice to see the tanks having established themselves and their eco system. I really do not mess with them much, other then the water changes, wiping down tanks inside and out every time, trimming off dead plants, and once a month or so, a breakdown of filters and massive 80% water change, then just feeding, and just enjoying them.

mikel
12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
ok, now that you have caught me attn with the huge blue diamod, you MUST post pictures!!!!!!I am a BD addict. Great job with your first year! mike

LostAcres
12-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I promise I will take a pic or have someone with a better camera take one. He/She is amazing!!!