PDA

View Full Version : Price...wilds...

brewmaster15
12-10-2008, 06:13 AM
If you had the chance to buy absolutely beautiful wilds, High grade specimens.. what would you be the most that you would pay for these adult wilds... When you think about this question, we are talking about the best fish availible....these are high end.... and unfortunately hypothetical and not in my tanks!:( I'm just curious what you would pay realisticallly if they were availible today.

I'll make a poll... discussions are welcome..and I hope we get some international discussions here..

Thanks,
al

illumnae
12-10-2008, 06:32 AM
For me, discus breeding isn't a priority and I keep them to enjoy viewing their regal beauty in my tanks. Hence, a minimum purchase for me would be 6 pieces, and I won't get the kind of returns breeders will get. Hence, my maximum price for any discus would be within the US$150-US$350 range. Sadly, I know that realistically speaking, this budget will only get me average quality adult pieces. Lately, I've seen very mediocre adult greens go for slightly under that price range.

this budget will, however, get me several pieces of juv/adolescent wilds...but with no guarantee of quality as the fish aren't fully developed yet. I guess I could get 8 pieces of juvs for the $350, buy 6 batches of that and hope that 1 premium piece emerges from each batch?

Dan S
12-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Hello,

Illumnae, Im the same as you. There is no return for me on them, its just the enjoyment of keeping them so that limits what I can spend on them. My current tank of Blues has 14 fish in, although I have had 19 in total and as they have grown out and I can see what they are going to be like I have reduced the number to my choosen ones.

Dan

Darren's Discus
12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Al,
i would pay $350 - $500 for top class wilds as i think the bloodlines would be great for my breeding program,unfortunatly here in australia the market for wilds is fairly small and some specimens that are sold here are around that price already and i believe far from worth it ! but if you do come across the best top end fish available please PM me !:D

cheers

AlexR
12-10-2008, 08:20 AM
I would not spend to much because ADULT wilds are oft OLD wilds :-). I would pay much more for perfect juvenile ones :-)

I never heard about adult wilds spawning in tanks. Mostly this are juveniles raised for about 1-2 years in the tank.

Alex

TankWatcher
12-10-2008, 08:32 AM
but if you do come across the best top end fish available please PM me Then straight after you get your pm, Darren, I'll wait for your PM to me, saying they're on their way to my tank :D

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I would be in the $150-$350 range. To me, a top quality fully striated Royal Blue is the ultimate discus. It's that fish that you see all the time in books and online and drool over, yet can never have it. Yes, having the latest trend in colors from Asia is cool but everyone will eventually have them and then its the next color that everyone has to have (discus hobby a "fashion" trend??). But having the "ultimate" in a wild discus is something that is to be coveted because there are extremely limited supplies in the wild of those fish and it will always remain that way....making those fish even more exclusive.

-Ryan

mckchu
12-10-2008, 09:08 AM
$150 - $350 is my max for a good fish. I have seen AAA grade Tefe Green with over 200 red spots for sale at around US$500 a piece in HK, and they were just like those pictures you see from glossy magazine from Japan! Straight off the books! But a beautiful tank of wild discus should not be just 1 or 2 fish, nor should it be how much you can spend to get them. Its the process of acquiring young ugly ducklings and see them grow into beautiful swans - that is why I keep wild discus. Each is unique and each grows more and more beautiful with age...

Michael

Ed13
12-10-2008, 09:47 AM
What I'm willing to pay and what I can pay are two different otions for me:( so I voted realisticly at $50-$75 per fish.

Willing to pay $250-$500 and more for that once in a lifetime specimen.

Able to afford $30-$75 :(

If I ever hit the lotto all rules will be broken, lol and more than likely I'll set up a small rare item only shop with discus and all of those rare saltwater fish that always end up in Japan.

Like Ryan for some reason I'm more attracted to Blues, semi and Royal Blues, or Blue X Heckels. Fav all time wild I evere saw in a pic on line was identified as Jatapu Royal Blue, fully striated and supper impressive colors way better looking than any domestic red turquoise. Full red Cuipeas are not far behind:)

AlexR
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
perhaps we can say you can't buy a wild discus, they are always borrowed from the Amazon. (And I really hope that they are not plundered from there!)

:whip:

brewmaster15
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Alex,
I'm not so worried about them be plundered from there...I believe the Amazon could easily sustain much in the ways of commercial fishing, including that of our beautiful Discus..... but... if the Amazon itself is plundered,razed and burnt....then I am afraid its all over.:( Without the land around the rivers and the clean water, much of what we have in tropical fish there will be lost forever.:(

-al

Dan S
12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello,

Just out of interest how rare are the Royal Blues and the AAA grade RSG's? As already said they have a tendancy to go to Japan where they will pay top dollar, but for every 1000 Discus caught in the Amazon, how many would be Royals or AAA grade RSG's? Anybody have any idea?

Dan

dpt8
12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Al, Interesting post. You know me. I pay what the person is asking. If I love the discus, its worth every penny. I love good wild RSG's. Problem is, I would pay more for discus I see rather than one I buy from a picture and have them shipped only because I see them right in front of me. I don't have to speculate about size, exact color, etc. I also fear that SOME people may not "clean" and worm their wilds as good as you do.

I wonder if wilds sometimes are less money for a faster turn-over. Maybe many people don't appreciate the wilds as much as the domestics ??

jim_shedden
12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Al: As a note of interest.............I had a note from Oliver L yesterday and he mentioned that all the wilds he catches in the Amazon this year are going to Asia..........Nothing to Canada and the USA.

$150-$300 max

Jim

tacks
12-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi great question Al I have a few wilds and after seeing some of those blues that Oliver posted, I am sick. I would rather spend 3-5 hundred and get something that relly has some color and looks great. I stilldontunderstand why the USA cant get better wilds than we do. There is a reccession going on all over the world and I just dont belive the market over there is that strong. But if anyone finds some way to get some great wilds in please let me know. thanks Ed

plecocicho
12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Considering exchange rate 1 dollar is half an euro, or what exchange rate is i would say 150-250 euros (that would be affordabale prize for me) But you must consider that normal tefe green discus costs about 60 euros.

ShinShin
12-10-2008, 09:23 PM
I have paid $250ea for wild rsg's and $150 ea for wild Heckels. They'd have to be great fish for me to go higher than that.

Mat

brewmaster15
12-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi all,
I did a random search on the net for Japanese sellers of wild discus and found an upscale seller with some nice fish...from what I can see this seller is a distributor for HEK discus out of Brazil...

I translated the website using babelfish...

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2ftaqua2.shop15.makeshop.jp%2f

and used the currency calculator for yen to Us dollars
http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

wilds retail there as follows...

46,000 yen...................504.00 dollars us
78,000 yen....................854.00 dollars us..... wild RSG
96,000 yen..................1062.63 dollars us
120,000 yen.................1315.00 dollars us.......royal blues
144,000 yen.................1578.00 dollars us.........royal blues

for comparison.. a 3-4" snow white is 3500 yen..which is $38 dollars us... and in line with what we sell them for here..

So basically its pretty obvious looking at the poll why we have a hard time getting good wilds here..... The above numbers may not be representative of other Japan based sellers...but I just thought it was interesting...if anyone else wants to take a look on the web and see if theres others they can find.. we can build the comparison base and draw some better conclusions.

hth,
al

illumnae
12-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I think their prices may be artificially marked up. The heckel found here:

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_url_content?.intl=us&lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2ftaqua2.shop15.makeshop.jp%2fsho pdetail%2f021000000009%2fprice%2f

isn't very good quality and it costs about US$75. I recently obtained much better quality ones with full body striations and showing the same reddish fins with yellow body tone, and possibly larger in size for about US$26-US$36.

Unfortunately, I can only compare heckels...and not a like to like comparison as the heckels i got were much better quality and larger...but that gives a good comparison as to the pricing of that site

illumnae
12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Here's a link to lists from another Japanese supplier. Wide range of prices, but seems slightly more moderate. Scroll down and click on the links...the prices are displayed in the links, not the page I linked:

http://72.14.235.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.rva.ne.jp/discus/1-2.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.rva.ne.jp%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfi refox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG&usg=ALkJrhgsK6kqBN2ag87-aFJdCNpsxupFwQ

Nicely spotted Tefe Green/RSG = 30,000 to 65,000 yen

Very striated blue (that's a royal blue right?) = 60,000 yen

Heckels = ~20,000 to 30,000 yen

These are for fish 5-6 inches large

That's the kind of prices I've heard bandied around here in Singapore regarding wilds available in the Japanese market, not the super high prices from the other site!

Zulu
12-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I think I could pay for a quality wild discus up to $600. I´ve just paid $500 for a cuipeia.

Apistomaster
12-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I draw a line at $125 to $150 for highly colored Blues or greens. I can't pick a favorite between these 2 species to work with. I already have blues spawning so my next purchase would be to get a group of nice greens
The market may set their values higher but I would not pay much more.
Mainly because the more expensive fish are not going to produce a drastically larger number of descendants as good or better than your best original breeders.
Fish in my price range should have enough potential to produce a few specimens even nicer than their parents. I would be happy to get those few that turn out better and hold them back for further breeding.

Really old Discus are usually too large to be economically shipped so the majority of good sized fish shipped in will rarely be much older than 2 years old. Discus may spawn for 8-10 years so the age differences aren't all that great in terms of limiting the time they may be used in a selective breeding program. That isn't so old as to preclude future back crosses of your tank raised F1 gen with one of the parents and that would help fix the desired traits sooner than breeding siblings but I would pursue both strategies. You can't know with certainty, which group will produce the desired results first. Using both sibling X sibling plus F1 X original wild covers both of the most viable chances of producing the desired highly colored fish as soon as possible.

All approaches towards breeding more colorful fish from wild stock would require considerable resources due to the generational times involved and the need to raise the fish you breed to a size where you can safely judge which ones are the keepers for your breeding program.

2075turner
12-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Hello All,

I would have to set my limit at about $250 - $300 per fish. Just hide the bill from my hubby:D

boxlotfish
12-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi all: I purchase wild Discus from time to time. My importer will not spend more than $50 for any fish unless he is highly motivated. When he can't sell the cheapest fish then the high dollar fish will not come into play unless someone pays for them up front. Typical Discus prices at the importer here in the USA have not changed much but the cost of shipping has doubled so the cost of the fish has gone up. The only people making any money are the airlines and they are probably having to pay more for fuel. I pay between $17 for small Heckles to $36 for large Alenquer. For me to sell wilds I have to have a 100% markup or I will be loosing money. If I did get some interesting strains at $60 each then they would have to go for at least $120 or at least in that neighborhood. I have sold them in the past but they do not market as well as the hand picked cheaper fish. I alway hate to see them go out the door unless I need to pay a bill.

Apistomaster
12-21-2008, 03:53 AM
boxlotfish,
What you say about Discus prices in the USA is essentially correct for typical specimens but the exceptional fish are being skimmed for another more lucrative export market.
I doubt many of us who are interested in exceptional wild discus is going to be willing to pay up front for fish we haven't seen or entrust a middle man with our cash up front for him or her in the hopes they will come back with wild Discus as nice as we are hoping to pay extra for.

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Larry: Yes you are right, it boils down to a matter of trust. After being ripped off by Peru Aquarium Group for $1k this year, I would question any South American source, especially Peru. The fact of the matter is that even the most trusted importer (top dog at the top of his game) has no idea about what the fish will look like untill they are landed. The buyers that are located at the source will know and usually get what they pay for on the other end. If a regular USA importer has clout enough then he can usually get what he wants and better with an unseen security simply becaue the fish are there and he will order more fish soon. It is a kind of a game that the SA people play that is based on the local idea of how to treat a buyer. If you know how to play the game then you can win sometimes. The export stations will send you some fish if you pay them some money, maybe, anyway, and they will always be the best fish no matter what.

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Attached is the hand pick that I got yesterday for $27 a fish from the Uatuma river that was just one of many plain looking fish. Nice fish for the price but someone will not get it through the regular channels because I happened to be there with the money.

jimmyjoe
12-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Loren, not trying to get off this subject, but when you do receive the wilds that you get in, are you able to pick the certain strains. Or is it like your supplier only fishes for those certain strains that you feel are more sellable. I guess what I am trying to say or ask even are you an importer of wild discus and many other fish from SA, able to import lets say Cuipeua's of let's say grade A quality, if you have a buyer looking for that strain of discus. Jim in Ohio

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Jim: I am not an importer. I would rather leave that to the experts. I happen to live in the middle of Florida where all the fish are. I purchase from all the farms and importers here when I have the money. I am not a big buyer but I have been at it long enough and have the political connections to sometimes get what I want.

Discus-Hans
12-21-2008, 01:47 PM
hmmmmmmmm thanks for starting this Al.

I was ready to make a pretty big order in the higher end wilds.

But I've to spend more for them as most want to pay, so it looks like no sense to even bring them in.

This is probably why you only see a few great wilds on the market here in the USA, they just came in with the "standard" stuff.

As an importer you can't take the risk to even bring the higher end in,

Hans

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Hans: It sounds like this might be a good time to get some high end fish. Let the money flow.

jimmyjoe
12-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, then Loren when is the best time to look for quality fish coming in at your end of the business. If you can get high end quality discus should one contact you with said strain of discus he or she is looking for and price one is willing to pay, or how could that be done.

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Jimmy: For me to get some high end fish I would have to order several boxes of them at the same time. We are talking about 100 fish at $60 each, paid for in advance. I will not make that deal because I can't afford to loose that much. Best to call Hans when he gets some fish in or put your order in with him. I am a poor man with a reputation to try to uphold.

Discus-Hans
12-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Jim,

it works like this, your source send you a list what he got, you can order from that, like this:

NHAMUNDA SPECIAL Heckel blue face and blue moon lg size 06/box

Nhamundá special royal blue and royal heckel lg/xlg
Nhamunda special blue face heckel ml 12/box
Nhamundá blue face and blue royal heckel md 15/box
Nhamundá heckel cross big center bar ml 12/box
Nhamundá Maracanã red discus xlg 06/box

Alenquer red Cuipeua LG = 08/box
Alenquer Red cuipeua ml 12/Box
Alenquer red cuipeua md 15/Box
Alenquer red curua discus 08/Box

Inanu red discus high body xlg 06
Inanu red discus high body lg = 08
Inamu red discus high body ml = 12

Tefe special green discus semi royal xlg 06/box
Tefe special green discus semi royal lg 08/box
Tefe special green discus semi royal red spotted md size 15/box

Mari Mari special blue heckel lg 08/box
Mari Mari special blue heckel ml 12/box
Mari Mari special blue heckel md 15/box

Rio Negro heckel md 15/box

Abacaxi Golden heckel big Center bar md 15/Box

The prices on this list go up to $140 each Discus + shipping, handling, F+W fees, etc they cost more as most will spend :(

Hans

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Hans: If you know the language and you are a big buyer then you can cut that price down quickly. Let me know what you need and I will try to set something up.

Discus-Hans
12-21-2008, 02:23 PM
To get better Discus at a better price you've to import a 10 to 15 boxes.
All has to be paid upfront.
We have the tanks, the source and can bring them in but I don't want to sit on them.
Although I love wilds and what I've seen is great looking Discus, but........you never know what you get in. That's why you've to pay a little more and get higher quantity in, give you a better change to get better Wilds.

If I've some time I can figure some things out and put prices behind the list I posted.

But I only will do this if there is really interest for the better quality,

Hans

boxlotfish
12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Somebody start a new thread for High quality discus and let the buyers put their 2 cents in.

wgtaylor
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Mainly because the more expensive fish are not going to produce a drastically larger number of descendants as good or better than your best original breeders.
Fish in my price range should have enough potential to produce a few specimens even nicer than their parents. I would be happy to get those few that turn out better and hold them back for further breeding.
I have to agree with Larry. Quoting "JQ" from years ago, "You can expect to get approx 6 percent really nice royal blues from just average fish." And we know you cannot expect much more than that from really nice royal parents. Even those common blues, when kept properly, turn out to be absolutely beautiful when mature. Getting a few top notch fry from average parents is just a plus in the hobby worth waiting for.

The first picture is one of my wild caught average blues that I can expect to get a few fry like the second picture. I guess I would pay a little more for a wild caught like the second picture but not much more.

Now I guess this is where I would either break my wallet or break my heart:o trying to get a "special royal blue" like in the third picture. A Royal Blue like this is what I would expect to demand more money. In my opinion truly special. Bill

boxlotfish
12-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Bill: I have seen thousands of wild fish and I have never seen one like that one, even from the super high grade stock.

wgtaylor
12-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Ya, boxlot. I think that is a teaser picture from the exporters from SA this year. Don't believe you can order these up. Might be able to produce one with a blue female and a blue heckle male though. Just a thought. Bill

boxlotfish
12-23-2008, 02:49 PM
This is one that I got the other day. It is from the Uatuma river that is basically the export station at Manaus. I wonder if the Germans turned some Asian fish loose.

wgtaylor
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
That is a very nice wild. Understand you got it for a great price too. Some days ya just get lucky. Wish I lived close to a exporter or importer or for that matter anyone that had discus other than myself. Nice discus boxlot. Bill

boxlotfish
12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
This is probably the only advantage I have going for me. I asked God for a job working with fish and this is what I got.

Triadtropz
12-23-2008, 06:13 PM
This is probably the only advantage I have going for me. I asked God for a job working with fish and this is what I got.

God works in mysterious ways...

boxlotfish
12-23-2008, 07:09 PM
I have no complaints, I could be begging on the street corner and despite all my worries everything seems to work out in the end. I usually do get what I ask for but then I am obligated to actually appreciate it.

Paul Lucas
12-24-2008, 11:27 AM
The pictures of the fish that WGTaylor has put up in his post are of fish available from H&K Discus. We, Discus South in the UK will be importing a number of these fish in January 2009 as designated UK importer for H&K Discus in Brazil

That 3rd picture of the Royal Blue is beautiful and yes, that is top end discus from the wild.

There are quite a few people who, rather than look at the fish, will first look at the price and then say they cannot afford the fish BUT, and it's a huge but they demand quality fish and then bemoan the situation syaing they cannot get good quality wilds - it's amazing!

You get what you pay for in the long run - that applies to domestics too!!

Paul - Discus South UK:)

boxlotfish
12-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Rich mans fish, could be a fancy Stingray or Arowana. All of the rich people that I know are basically cheap when it comes to getting things done. They think they are being cheated when they have to pay more than the average person for the same product. At the same time they demand the best because they can afford it. It all boils down to how long someone wants to sit on a fish before it sells. The typical importer wants to sell his product as soon as he can because tropical fish are perishable, a kind of a numbers game. A live fish is worth something and the longer you have it then the more it is worth when it is young. Older fish are worth less money because they could easily croak for any number of strange reasons. Forgot to check the pH, the weather changed quickly, my heater stuck, the food was bad, etc. Dead fish are worthless and importers are constantly reminded of this every day. Who wants to take the gamble? The pole says $100 to $150 for top grade wild discus. It could work if the gamble is worth it for everyone.

Ramon Anastacio
12-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Getting that once in a lifetime wild discus specimen is a dream of many enthusiasts of wild fish. I've put a lot of money into my collection with the hope of one day getting that "dream fish". It is not monetarily practical, I know, but most of us are in this hobby not because we think it is practical or is a wise investment.

I've had dozens of high end wild discus and this Royal Blue is what I have in my collection that is closest to a perfect specimen. To me it is an ideal red royal blue with striations all over its body even extending to the belly under the gill plate, much better than any striated red turquoise that I have seen.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/ranastacio/jatapuroyal.jpg

boxlotfish
12-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow! Discus in tow on the Jatapu river http://playak.com/news.php?idd=209384947397

Ed13
12-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Fav all time wild I evere saw in a pic on line was identified as Jatapu Royal Blue, fully striated and supper impressive colors way better looking than any domestic red turquoise.

I've had dozens of high end wild discus and this Royal Blue is what I have in my collection that is closest to a perfect specimen. To me it is an ideal red royal blue with striations all over its body even extending to the belly under the gill plate, much better than any striated red turquoise that I have seen.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/ranastacio/jatapuroyal.jpg
I think this is the very pic of the Jatapu Royal blue I mentioned in a previous post! That is what as of today I consider my once in a lifetime specimen!

Is that one yours Ramon? I thought I had seen the pic in a German import site

Ramon Anastacio
12-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I think this is the very pic of the Jatapu Royal blue I mentioned in a previous post! That is what as of today I consider my once in a lifetime specimen!

Is that one yours Ramon? I thought I had seen the pic in a German import site

Yes, that discus is mine. It is a photo that I took myself after the fish had been in my tank for around six months. Oliver Lucanus is the supplier.

tacks
12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi Ramon you have some I mean all beautiful wild discus. Thank you very much for sharing. Ed

boxlotfish
12-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Here are some fish that I have sold in the past. The really nice Tefe are the hardest to get.

jimmyjoe
12-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Those are really nice Loren, how many of those do you possibly get per shipment. Oliver at Belowwater gets some quality discus but when he posts the Forsale list you don't get to see what they actually look like, well I never asked to see but once and at that time I was floored at the cost and then I believe you have to have an import license from Canada. Not sure on that either, but he has some nice fish. I guess if I could see the product before I'd go $250-$300 per fish but I'd have to see the Discus for sale first. Those are some nice past discus's you sold though Loren.... Jim

Ed13
12-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Yes, that discus is mine. It is a photo that I took myself after the fish had been in my tank for around six months. Oliver Lucanus is the supplier.
Could very well be the same fish doubtful though, as I understand they have used the same collectors in the past.
I remembered the linkhttp://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/Diskuswildf%E4nge/Seiten/Blau_Jatapu%20Lago%20B%20Royal%20Blue.htm

Either way is beautiful!

boxlotfish
12-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Jimmy: These came in about 2 years ago after a special order that I put in with my importer. They very seldon come in like this in the regular orders. At the time I had several people asking for them and most of them fell through. I did sell all of them but it took some time to get my money back. I think I had 20 fish all together and 40 came in. I would do it again if I can sell the 2 P13s I have on order. One guy was asking about the rays so if he comes through then I will go for the high end Discus again.

obsessed
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
This my nicest wild,
I would pay a lot for fish like this again. It came from Alberto at Aquatechnics. Unfortunately he doesn't respond to contact anymore.

Paul

jimmyjoe
12-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Wouldn't we all like to find Wilds like that again, you where very fortunate to find a wild as nice as that. Some people have paid for some nice wilds and some have just some adequate wilds. I my self have found that you get what you pay for, if I could have afforded the nicer quality wilds and found some as nice as yours today and then they would be on my wish list.... Very nice wild you have there. Jim in Ohio

obsessed
12-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks,
Someone actually just emailed privately. He received an email from Alberto, stating that he would start importing again in July.
WOHOOO!!

Paul

jimmyjoe
12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I guess I'll have to start making a "New Years Wish List for New Wilds" that's great news, July can't come soon enough..........................Jim in Ohio ( have to get some serious money together again) LOL

fishfarm
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Most I have ever sold a wild discus for was $150 for some nice fully striated blue heckels.
I see fish on the list that would price out for more, but find it hard to believe people would actually buy them. I bring in 15-20 boxes at a time and there are always a few jems in each shipment, Usually the local guys talk me out of them before they get through my 4 week quarantine procedure. I ordered 20 boxes yesterday, we'll see what we get. Ken

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks,
Someone actually just emailed privately. He received an email from Alberto, stating that he would start importing again in July.
WOHOOO!!

Paul

Oh awesome!! I have been wanting nice wilds, and Alberto in the past has had some really nice royal blues for a decent price. Any idea if his website has his current contact info (tried in the past to contact with no luck)?

-Ryan

wgtaylor
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Usually the local guys talk me out of them before they get through my 4 week quarantine procedure. I ordered 20 boxes yesterday, we'll see what we get. Ken
Hey Ken, glad you are back and have ordered again. I'm a loco guy, oh you said local:D, well count me in on a few nice wilds. Thanks, Bill Taylor

obsessed
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Ryan,
Alberto responded to a friends email the beginning of December. I am sure he used the email address on the website. I think i will email him myself also, of course this would end up requiring that i go to FLA fishing so i could go pick out some fish! :)

Paul

discusjoe27
06-17-2009, 11:05 PM
depends. right now the most I would pay for a nicely colored wild would be 150-350 range. once I'm better off I'd pay 400-600(come on lotto win me a big jack-pot). my wilds that I get are whole prices. they are medium grade I would say. but a good price for my buget. I've seen slitley nicer ones at a discus breeder shop here in town for 100.00 I would say medium grade A.

but I'm not out to get rich if I ever sell them, I only want to make a few dollars.
(just some gas money,and food money) I'd reather enjoy discus then trying to breed them and get rich. there is just something about discus. I saw they are a challenge but not a hard one. I did guppies,swordtails,plattys, neons, barbs,
etc etc. after all of that I wanted a challenge.

russell
06-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Over the pond here in the rep of ireland the prices go through the roof!!!!!!!!!!!! But having said that I had no chance of getting any True wilds over here. until my importer/trader managed to get some Tefe's in. knowing I wanted them I had to pay the price!!!!!!! worked out at about £120 sterling each. I bought 7. two died. left with 5. but having said that I ended up with a pair of the best Tefe's i have ever seen . Passed tha remaining three on to another Tefe Fanatic.

discusjoe27
06-21-2009, 03:23 AM
Over the pond here in the rep of ireland the prices go through the roof!!!!!!!!!!!! But having said that I had no chance of getting any True wilds over here. until my importer/trader managed to get some Tefe's in. knowing I wanted them I had to pay the price!!!!!!! worked out at about £120 sterling each. I bought 7. two died. left with 5. but having said that I ended up with a pair of the best Tefe's i have ever seen . Passed tha remaining three on to another Tefe Fanatic.

I don't mean to noisey but how much IS £120 in USD.$$$ dollars?

russell
06-21-2009, 06:10 AM
$$$$ 197 usd

arabu1973
06-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Like Russell said here in Ireland the prices for wild discus are crazy, i got 8 wild green tefe's for €80 each but i got very nice ones 10-15 cm in size.

Daniella
06-22-2009, 03:58 PM
well, the question was what would I pay for a top quality discus. That is very relative to my budget. If I was asked what they would be worth it, it would be higher than what I chose to vote for. I would not be able to pay as much as they are worth, for sure. So what I would be willing to pay for such discus is far below what it is probably worth.

If I was to win at the lottery, I would go nuts and buy many large aquarium with many top magnificient discus. I would not mind paying 1000$ or more for each but that's only a dream for now :)

Going into discus is so expensive! Since I got them I keep my CC bill to top of what I can afford and more. It's a non stop expense.

If you had the chance to buy absolutely beautiful wilds, High grade specimens.. what would you be the most that you would pay for these adult wilds... When you think about this question, we are talking about the best fish availible....these are high end.... and unfortunately hypothetical and not in my tanks!:( I'm just curious what you would pay realisticallly if they were availible today.

I'll make a poll... discussions are welcome..and I hope we get some international discussions here..

Thanks,
al

Moon
06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Our local BA store had some wild Tefes that someone ad ordered. They were listed for $85 each. The guy did not pick them up and I offered $65 eachfor them and they accepted. So now I have 8 wlid greens about 5" and doing well.

Daniella
06-25-2009, 08:55 AM
wow, awesome deal! Any photos of them?

Our local BA store had some wild Tefes that someone ad ordered. They were listed for $85 each. The guy did not pick them up and I offered $65 eachfor them and they accepted. So now I have 8 wlid greens about 5" and doing well.

DarkSide
06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
Sunrise Tropicals always has a nice selection of wilds, take a look at is website. Fun to just browse and look at what is offered.

Discus-Hans
06-25-2009, 10:52 AM
We got some nice ones, 5 ~ 6" and I think nice priced,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxCh57mcmaU

Hans

prolude006
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
This video shows some of the very blue green from the 3rd picture early here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07Qf9ChtkA

A good vid of some discus I would love to have myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0xrlP7ZNY

Disgirl
07-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Thank you for posting these videos, just amazing! And 2 pairs spawning in the same tank at the same time...wow! Wondering how big that tank is and who is the excellent discus keeper who owns it!?
Barb:)

Justice
07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I voted $150-350, I could get away with $150 a fish.... Maybe with some heavy sweet talking and begging even $200...... but $350??? :( All the sweet talking or Victoria Secret :D in the world wont get the other half of my bank account to agree to that.....EVER :argue:

arabu1973
07-20-2009, 07:12 AM
This is a price list i got from a supplier here in Ireland:

Blue discus from Alenquer river Med @€50-
Blue discus from Manacapuru river L @€110-
Blue discus from Jari river L @€120-
Blue discus from Uatuma river @€120-
Brown discus L @€90-
Brown discus Tucuru river @€125-
Normal green XL @€125-
Green Japura XL €225-
Red Tucuru L @€100-
Fire red Curipera XL @€755- Very rare!!!!!
Gypsy Cigano XL €325-
Nanay river L €115-
Gypsy discus L @€350- WOW!!!!
Rose discus Alenquer river L @€325-WOW!!
Heckel discus S @€65-
Heckel discus M @€75-
Heckel discus L @€100-
Heckel cross Nhamunda river XL @
Reddiscus Tucuru river L @€175-
Red Barra Mansa XL @€650-
Royal blue from Nhamund XXL 6-7" €750-
Green discus from Tefe river Large @€100-