PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Discus falling behind others on growth- should I isolate it and feed heavy?

DiscBuff
12-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey all-
I have a 3 inch blue diamond that is in a 55 gallon planted tank with 4 other discus. The blue diamond is a picky eater, at the bottom of the pecking order, and it is falling behind on growth (the others range from 4 to 5 inches and are growing fast). She gets bullied at feeding time and I think she might not be getting enough to eat to grow. I have an empty QT tank that I could set up as a grow tank for the blue diamond. Has anyone tried this? I know it's not a good idea to have a lone discus but I want to see her grow. I've seen her eat beef heart but she gets chased away before she eats much. She gets some blood worms and brine shrimp because those disperse better. Any thoughts?

Eddie
12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I am no expert but I have tried to separate the weaker fish in hopes of pumping them up with food, but it didn't work for me at all. In fact, it only got worse because the fish was alone and started to not eat at all. It goes with the saying "Only the strong survive". There will always be a slow grower but they can take a turn in the future in some cases. I'll never try to separate a fish to feed only him again. I'll just let nature take its course.

Eddie