PDA

View Full Version : Growout to Display, What Age?

OIF03VET
12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
At what size should I move fish from my growout tank to my display tank?

OIF03VET
12-17-2008, 09:42 PM
No one have any help for me?

bs6749
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM
IMO there is more than one factor involved here.

First, I'd consider how many fish you have in the growout tank and what size they are. If you have 8 4" fish in a 55g you could leave them in until they reach about 4.5" IMO. You should also consider what size fish are in the display tank. If you have a couple of 6" fish in there already, I'd be hesitant to move any fish smaller than 5 inches in with them but that's just me. It's not going to hurt anything to let them grow out a little more in the same tank.

Eddie
12-18-2008, 05:05 AM

totally situational. just as BS6749 said, depends on the fish in the community tank and the fish that are going in there. For example, I have a group of 4 inch fish in my CT (it's a community/growout combined)that are really aggressive. I put 2 each 2 inch BDs in the tank and they can hold there own. Mainly because I find BDs to be pretty aggressive and they will stand up to fish twice thier size. On the other hand I have 2 ea 2.5 inch checkerboard Turqs in the tank and they get there pants whipped daily! They are all doing great though, eating, getting fat and they are healthy. It's entirely up to your fish.

Eddie

Autumn Wind
12-18-2008, 06:00 PM

I moved mine when the smallest was 4" and the biggest was 5-5 1/2". At this size I felt comfortable slowing down on feeding (not sure THAT actually happened but thats another story:D ) All of my discus got along together really well so i moved them all at once so I wouldn't break-up the pecking order. My display had no other discus.

I agree it's situational, if you provide some more info you should get more detailed advise.